Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo bearings blown? (Strange)! --by over1g--

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2002, 03:25 AM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post Turbo bearings blown? (Strange)! --by over1g--

--over1g can't log on right now to post, here's his topic--

[quote]I have large quantities of a mix of (what I suspect to be) oil/antifreeze in the intake. The oil in the crankcase looks much thinner.

I had a leaking cam tower gasket, I fixed that and when I started the car up checking for leaks at around the cam housing on the exaust side I noticed something REALLY strange, some form of what looked like water or VERY thin oil coming out of the exaust gaskets between the head and the manifold!!!

I took off the intercooler pipes, and there was a bit of this mix sitting there, then I took a vacuum pump and pulled out a bit that was in the intercooler (about a 1/4 liter maybe), then I opened the throttle plate into the intake manifold and found about 1/4th a liter there as well... Took off the J boot from the turbo (compressors compressed side), and found standing mix of this liquid here!

I'm pretty sure this can't be anything BUT blown turbo bearings, just wanted to get a second opinion. I have started dis-assembly of the turbo and now can't decide to go used or new or rebuilt or what.

Thanks for any help.
Ahmet<hr></blockquote>
Old 07-16-2002, 03:44 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hmmm bizarre. I think you mean the turbo seals. If the bearings were shot, you'd have a bigger problem. Test that out by disconnecting the water-supply to the turbo (plug up the open ends). Also disconnect the power to the turbo water-pump. Then drive it for a day or two and see if you get the same symptoms. Make sure you give it ample idle time to cool off before shutting it down.
Old 07-17-2002, 04:51 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
I can't picture how the turbo bearing/seal assy looks like right now, but I think that both would have to be damanged to have a mix of antifreeze in the engine oil sump, inake, and exaust.

I would've tested the turbo, but I have decided to replace it. I should be doing it this weekend. My lease runs out at the shop so I need a new place to 'keep' the car after sunday night if it doesn't drive by then...
Ahmet

Quick Reply: Turbo bearings blown? (Strange)! --by over1g--