Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the fuel pressure gauge on my rail broke?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 08:19 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is the fuel pressure gauge on my rail broke?

Mine's some Auto Gauge device my PO installed and left on the rail. It definitely bumps into the hood liner, so I wanna get it off there anyway (any recommendations on quick release gauges??).

It's always 'danced' a lot when running - but recently (I just noticed) that it's all the way down in the low 30's at idle. That can't be right?? Car runs great otherwise - WB shows mid 14's at cruise and 11.9 at WOT so I'm not going lean anywhere but idle now. I've got a new fuel damper I'm going to install...read awhile back one of those not working right can cause the gauge to bounce. (BTW, anyone have a good write up on how to get that thing off without removing the rail?)

Picture attached of what I have - but curious how to get this thing off? It looks like it screwed in, but what happens when you unscrew it? Is there something in there that keeps the fuel from coming out? Do you have to plug it up with something? It rubs on the engine cover and I'm afraid it may break loose or otherwise causing a leak. BTW, this is about where the pressure is when the car is turned off at idle - maybe low 30's (according to my gauge anyway...).
Attached Images   

Last edited by choinga; 08-21-2009 at 10:27 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:18 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

It's screwed into a cap that is on the end of the rail. So if I were you I'd pick up another cap and the ball that seals to the end of the rail. Hopefully someone who is parting a car will have them.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:24 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

yeah, i was reading around and figured out there is a cap with a ball bearing that goes in there.

I also read that this bolt is supposed to only torque down to ~16ft/lb - am I going to tweak the rail if I try to get that bolt off while the rail is still attached? That's the last thing I need right now... Problem is - I don't have a vice on a solid enough table that I can use to hold the rail if I take it out of the car to get enough torque to get that bolt on if it's too tight...

The gauge has to be jacked up - I went out in the garage just now to look and see if it was holding pressure and it was right where it was like 3 hours ago - that never happens. So, I tapped on the top of the gauge and the needle dropped like 5 PSI. I can bang on it and the needle moves all around within that 10PSI range right there around 30PSI.

I ordered an extra 3BAR FPR and a new VDO gauge from Paragon that comes with the end cap (and hopefully the ball bearing). I'll try and get that gauge off and then temporarily put the new one on to verify pressure and then cap it.

Any tricks for getting the gauge off?? Should I use some Kroil or PB Blaster on that nut?
Old 08-21-2009, 11:00 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by choinga
yeah, i was reading around and figured out there is a cap with a ball bearing that goes in there.

I also read that this bolt is supposed to only torque down to ~16ft/lb - am I going to tweak the rail if I try to get that bolt off while the rail is still attached? That's the last thing I need right now... Problem is - I don't have a vice on a solid enough table that I can use to hold the rail if I take it out of the car to get enough torque to get that bolt on if it's too tight...

The gauge has to be jacked up - I went out in the garage just now to look and see if it was holding pressure and it was right where it was like 3 hours ago - that never happens. So, I tapped on the top of the gauge and the needle dropped like 5 PSI. I can bang on it and the needle moves all around within that 10PSI range right there around 30PSI.

I ordered an extra 3BAR FPR and a new VDO gauge from Paragon that comes with the end cap (and hopefully the ball bearing). I'll try and get that gauge off and then temporarily put the new one on to verify pressure and then cap it.

Any tricks for getting the gauge off?? Should I use some Kroil or PB Blaster on that nut?
Just hold the end of the rail with another wrench and you should be OK..
Old 08-22-2009, 12:36 AM
ArcticSteve
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya, I agree. It's probably not on as tight as it looks.

This is a sweet gauge.

http://www.pauertuning.com/index_fil...ssuregauge.htm
Old 08-22-2009, 01:01 AM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

cool - that's exactly what i was looking for. Just sent an email to cancel the VDO gauge I picked up to order this one instead.

Anyone have an end cap and ball bearing I can buy - I'd like to have it just in case??

Quick Reply: Is the fuel pressure gauge on my rail broke?