Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you wash your car in NJ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2003, 12:56 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts
Post How do you wash your car in NJ?

I'm in Hudson county and I'm having an impossible time finding a self-service car wash close to me! I don't want to take my car to one of the "full service" places because I'm scared they'll scratch not only the paint but also the plastic rear window.

But upon searching the yellow pages, Yahoo, and the online yellowpages.com directory, I cannot find any that are closer than 40 miles away.

Any ideas? My car needs a bath...
Old 01-29-2003, 01:04 PM
bf95cab
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Theres a hand wash place in Fort Lee, i think on Palisades ave just near where it intersects Lemoine avenue (a couple blocks from the GWB). I haven't used them, but i hear they're good.
I'd include a link to a mapquest map, but don't know how.
Old 01-29-2003, 01:13 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have my car dry cleaned in the winter! (Joke).

There are two auto-cleaners that I know won't scratch my car: in Montvale, by my work where we take our company cars (Mercedes-Benz), and a place at home. (Wayne). I found them by taking my Subaru commuter car to them and being satisfied with their service.

Hope this helps!
-Z.
Old 01-29-2003, 01:44 PM
MadMax
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fpena,
I too have this concern here in Maryland. I live in a Condo (where they turn off the outside water spickets during the winter) so I cannot wash my car. Never take your Cabriolet through an automatic carwash. It will likely scratch your rear window plus, the soaps and spray waxes they use are all over the rotating chamois material that beats your car clean. Not to mention the high pressure water that will be sprayed on the top and window seals.

You will have to find a place that either does a hand wash or hand wash it yourself.

Good luck. I haven't been able to find anyone around here that does a true "handwash."

Max
Old 01-29-2003, 01:59 PM
Tremelune
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
It won't get the underside, but a big bucket of warm water and a smallish towel go far when there's no other option. I usually wait until it goes above freezing, crack the hose a bit, spray the car down (making sure to nail the underside and wheel wells), then just wipe it off. If I'm feeling crazy, I'll break out the warm bucket and sponge.
Old 01-29-2003, 03:19 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I use Jackson's, on Rt 22E in Union. They have 8 huge garage bays, and you pull in and one guy will go over your car. It's $12, and I tip my guy a ten spot. Some people tip a buck, but my car looks like its getting detailed every time I visit. I do bring my own car soap and wheel cleaner, as the commercial stuff they use will take wax off fast. Ask for Ronnie (tall skinny guy) and tell him I sent you. Highly recommended. Ask anyone how my car looks.
Old 01-29-2003, 03:34 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmm water??
I know , it stinks, too cold to wash it here. I'll wash mine in my garage (unheated) doing small patches at a time.. I can detail it at the same time. takes a long time tho..

Global warming my a$$.......
Old 01-29-2003, 07:45 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by Damian in NJ:
<strong>I use Jackson's, on Rt 22E in Union. They have 8 huge garage bays, and you pull in and one guy will go over your car. It's $12, and I tip my guy a ten spot. Some people tip a buck, but my car looks like its getting detailed every time I visit. I do bring my own car soap and wheel cleaner, as the commercial stuff they use will take wax off fast. Ask for Ronnie (tall skinny guy) and tell him I sent you. Highly recommended. Ask anyone how my car looks.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">It looks like he had it detailed first so it would look good on the way to the car wash!
Old 01-29-2003, 07:52 PM
Dave
Race Car

Oh yeah, if by "self service" you mean one of those places that you pull in and stick quarters in the slot to make the hose work, there's one in Kenilworth (~15 miles) a block west of the GSP, exit 138. For me it's on my way home from work, so I pull in every few days to just rinse the bulk of the crap off.
Old 01-29-2003, 09:26 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks for the kind words, Dave. There is another self spray washomat in on Valley Road, in Stirling, NJ. This is a nice country drive about five minutes off RT 78W about 20 miles west of Newark Airport.
Old 01-29-2003, 09:39 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
fpena944

There's one ( Touchless Carwash I think) on Rt 46 West in South Hackensack....about a mile south of the Little Ferry Circle...just before Teterboro airport.

If I recall ( from the Hoboken daze) there used to be a decent hand wash near the firehouse on the south side of town....Observer Highway I think?
Old 01-30-2003, 12:20 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
You NJ guys.. i swear. I'm originally from Newark, and if i remember right my grandfather NEVER washed his 72 LeMans.. besides it was a piece of crap when he got done with it..

BTW- is Jimmy Buff's still around? Taylor pork roll??
Old 01-30-2003, 07:21 AM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Jimmy Buff's is still there...never been myself but my wife's cousin talks about it all the time......by the way...Newark...ever go to Ed's hotdog truck? That was an essential part of my college meal plan ( NJIT )
Old 01-30-2003, 08:37 AM
Dave
Race Car

Tried Jimmy Buff's once, wasn't impressed.
Old 01-30-2003, 09:47 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts
Hello all,

Yeah actually what I meant was one of those drive in, stick in a bunch of quarters, and you wash it yourself. I am surprised there's not any that are closer to me. Oh well, new place - new way of doing things.

I'll check out some of the hand-washing places you all mentioned and see which one is best. The one by the firehouse is still there...Looks kinda small though but at least it's close to Domino's if I need to grab lunch.

Quick Reply: How do you wash your car in NJ?