Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown cat looks like this

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2002 | 12:19 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Post Blown cat looks like this

Hey all,

Here are the pictures I promised in another post regarding a failed catalytic converter.

The image quality isn't the best, but here is what the melted guts look like. Notice the chunk of busted matrix on the right side:

And here is what blows out the tailpipe. Notice how small some of the bits are:

Here is what I replaced it with:

And here is the muffler setup Tim at SFR did for me. Sorry I don't have the Euro bumper on right now:

I have to say it was a pain in the *** to set up this new exhaust. Tim didn't want to put a flange on it because he apparently hadn't done an exhaust for a 924S before. As a result I had to have a muffler shop add the appropriate flanges to the exhaust and new cat. Everything lines up pretty well, except where I made mistakes.

Hopefully I don't burn up this cat like I did the last.

I would like to thank Turbo Tim for building the cat back setup (beautiful welds Tim, nice job)

I would like to thank Jason at Paragon for getting an new O2 sensor to me hasta pronto.

And I would like to thank Paul Zehner of Zehner Discount muffler for welding everything up for me. For any listers in the Eastern Buckeye Region, this guy does nice work and he is good to deal with, even though he always appears to be busy.
Old 07-15-2002 | 12:32 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Where did you get the converter? How much? Dimentions about the same as stock?

I am going to run mine with one when it is all tuned, and have been looking for a good high flow one in the stock size. Unfortuantely they are about $300.
Old 07-15-2002 | 12:37 PM
Jason-85944
Pro

Manning....

If you don't mind me askin, how much did that setup put you back?

Looks very, very nice

Jason
Old 07-15-2002 | 01:11 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

I ordered the exhaust setup a while back and never got around to installing it. I don't recall right off what I paid, but $450.00 comes to mind. I'll look at the receipt when I get home. It is 2.5 inch stainless mandrel bent tubing with that single muffler. The center muffler hanger had to be replaced to use this setup. The one used on a 924S (at least) clamps in where the flanges for the cat and rear exhaust bolt together. I had to replace that with the same type used ahead of the cat since that configuration is no longer used. I'll look up the part number in a bit.

I ordered the catalytic converter from <a href="http://www.a-1parts.com/performance_store/display_table_superconverter.cfm?VENDOR=SUPER%20CONVERTER" target="_blank">A-1 Performance</a> and the part number is 15145. It is a universal high flow and is not direct fit by any stretch of the imagination. However, it is slip fit. If you cut off the old cat very close to the weld on the front end of it, then you have just enough material to slip fit the collector pipe to the muffler. If you cut too far forward of the cat the tubing steps down to much and the fit will be loose. The stock cat by the way is roughly 2.25 inch inlet/outlet so that is what I ordered size wise (again, part number 15145).

Fortunately I had some 2.25 stainless tubing around (what are the chances) so I was able to make up the length difference to the flange. It is totally slip fit on the back end of the cat right now. You can actually see the big ugly Walker clamp in the picture. I may wind up putting in a flex coupling when I have that one remaining connection welded up. I found the length from the (front) cat hanger to the (rear) cat flange was 30.25 inches. The replacement cat is only 18 inches.

Regarding performance, I have an Autothority chip and found that I have to have the DME set at plus one click (for now). At that setting it pulls really well. I need to double check fuel pressure, I 'll let you know. I think it is at 32psi right now.

Also, it is a little bit loud, but sounds really good. Has a little bit of a buzzy rasp coming off throttle, but I can deal with that.

Finally, I am not sure if the torque tube bearing got fried or not, I do have some vibration. I am going to wrap the tube with heat shield blanket in that area just to play it safe for now.
Old 07-16-2002 | 01:05 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

OK, the part number for the center exhaust hanger bracket is 931-111-061-02

Fuel pressure is at about 31psi.

I couldn't find the receipt from SFR right off, but I think the $450.00 (including shipping)number sounds about right.

And the converter was $116.00 including shipping.

Welding set me back $20.00

I will get the Euro bumpers back on shortly.
Old 07-18-2002 | 02:14 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oh yeah, one more thing. Even if the new cat does come with its own heat shield, and even if you do have to bend and **** the original heat shield to get the new cat to fit, DO IT. The original heat shield helps to not only protect the torque tube, but it also keeps a lot of heat out of the cockpit. Don't ask how I know this.

Quick Reply: Blown cat looks like this