Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple annoying problems (vacuum and squeal)

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2002 | 09:45 AM
PrerYDoG
Pro

Post Couple annoying problems (vacuum and squeal)

Okay, I'd like to take a look at a couple apparrent (though possibly non-existent) problems on my 951.

On start up, (idle), or even before startup when the key is in the "on" position, what should the boost guage read?

Second, when the car is still a little cold, and I press the clutch in (also called depressing the clutch, but I never notice a change in its emotions ) I hear a low belt whine (a whirling noise) from the engine compartment somewhere, what would that be?

Third, when driving slow (I don't do it often!) there's a metal on metal squeal coming from the wheel area. It goes steady with the speed, it's a squeek, squeek, squeek, that's REALLY annoying, any ideas?

Thnx
Old 07-15-2002 | 02:52 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

The boost gauge should read ambient barometric pressure with key on but car not running, however, don't be surprised if it is in error. This should be 14.7 PSI at sea level with nothing going on with the weather. 1 Bar on the boost gauge is 14.5 PSI. If you are at elevation the pressure is going to be less. If you go and call the local airport to get pressure readings they are going to give it to you in inches of mercury (29.92 = 14.7 psi) and it will be "corrected" to what the reading would be at sea level under local weather conditions, rather than what it actually is. This is for pilots to set their altimeters so they don't drive their planes into the ground. So you want the unadjusted pressure.

I would check out this wheel squeek - could be a bearing or maybe your rotor is just warped and rubbing a pad as the warped section passes by.
Old 07-16-2002 | 09:27 AM
PrerYDoG
Pro

anyone have ideas on the rest of this stuff?

TIA
Old 07-17-2002 | 07:38 AM
Hans
Burning Brakes

[quote]Second, when the car is still a little cold, and ... <hr></blockquote>Could be throw-out bearing.
Ignore till it gets worse, replace with clutch. [quote]...it's a squeek, squeek, squeek... <hr></blockquote>Could be brake pad not moving back or some corrosion/debri on the rotor circumference hitting the pad / caliper.
Cleaning the brake calipers & rotor edges should take care of this.
I would look at this first befor I would get at the bearings.
TakeCare

Quick Reply: Couple annoying problems (vacuum and squeal)