Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring Diagram Color Code

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 06:16 PM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wiring Diagram Color Code

Hello all, Sometimes we forget things we don't often use. I was looking up the wiring diagram for another and could not remember a color code. Here is a list that you might want to jot down.

SW = Black
WS = White
RT = RED
GN = GREEN
GE = YELLOW
GR = GREY
BR = BROWN += GROUND WIRE
BL = BLUE
LI = VIOLET

Cheers,
Larry
Old 08-20-2009, 09:31 AM
smokin_944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good idea Larry.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:46 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Grandpa#3
Hello all, Sometimes we forget things we don't often use. I was looking up the wiring diagram for another and could not remember a color code. Here is a list that you might want to jot down.

SW = Black
WS = White
RT = RED
GN = GREEN
GE = YELLOW
GR = GREY
BR = BROWN += GROUND WIRE
BL = BLUE
LI = VIOLET

Cheers,
Larry
The color code is also listed at the botom of most of the wiring diagram pages, and definitely on the first page of each different sections...

Also of note is GE/GN would be a Yellow wire with a green stripe and so on for multi colored wires, if more than one color is shown, the first color is the wire color, the second is the stripe... and remember, after 20+ years, not ALL the wires in some cars willl be as shown in the schematics due to some "inventive" solutions being used by previous owners...

there are also some key notes worth reading at the beginning of the electrical digram section of the FSM... some of the notes deal with some of the special notes and markings on the wiring schematics...
Old 08-20-2009, 12:36 PM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE

Thank you, John, for adding more info to the list. It really helps everyone when we try to trace out the wiring diagrams. I never was a wizz kid on how to read them myself. You are right, I just went back and checked the FSM and the color code is at the bottom of the page. I was so intent on tracing the wires out I didn't notice.

Cheers,
Larry
Old 08-20-2009, 10:38 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Grandpa#3
Thank you, John, for adding more info to the list. It really helps everyone when we try to trace out the wiring diagrams. I never was a wizz kid on how to read them myself. You are right, I just went back and checked the FSM and the color code is at the bottom of the page. I was so intent on tracing the wires out I didn't notice.

Cheers,
Larry
I have been dealing with wiring schematics for years, and these are no picknic to read... not the worst, but far from the best....

Quick Reply: Wiring Diagram Color Code