Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Anyone have use of Solidworks, Bend-Tech or similar 3D modeling?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 05:29 PM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NYFlapjack2
Sorry my experience(s) started on the board with mechanical pencils and a T square (guessing how old I am now?)...I am not hands on familiar with those other softwares you mention.

My CAD history has been in AutoCad, Mechanical Desktop, Pro Engineer - Wildfire and now SolidWorks added to the mix. Everyone had their good & bad, and of course that learning curve.

I didn't like Catia and Unigraphics way back when, didn't get exposed to them much to master em...but probably much of issues then was translation errors between these softwares & platforms which I had to rework or use their models into. These days an *.IGS, or *.STP, *.X_P file is way better then back when...

Anyhow the GUI (graphical user interface) those icons & yeah tool bars are much handier than command prompts or the old mouse & design tablets with cross hair windows... I collapse them when working with bigger parts to view...but the speed in track ball zoom, rotation and part navigation, you get around big 3d modeled parts fast.
LOL i used a T square in college for 2 years but the practice was discouraged in school to push people to develope our comptuer ability. Some people caught on like wild fire others struggle and still struggle.

I guess the only advatage to type commands to the icons is the ability to switch from computer to computer with out having to get re adjusted to peoples certain lay out. (if you were helping them figure out a command on their computer)

No offense but the Older people if they can learn a program (alot can) More cant seem to learn by visual aids such as icons and that seems to be the easiest way to learn on the fly

Quick Reply: OT: Anyone have use of Solidworks, Bend-Tech or similar 3D modeling?