Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Pad question

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2003, 12:21 PM
Porsh-uh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Brake Pad question

Anyone got any recommendations on the best agressive street/DE brake pads available for an 87 944S? Thanks.
Old 03-04-2003, 12:39 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
As long as you're not running race tires at DE, I've been very happy with Metal Masters. Low dust/squeal, relatively high friction.

Skip
Old 03-04-2003, 12:44 PM
Porsh-uh
Burning Brakes

Thanks Skip, I just talked to Chuck and he recommended the Carbon/Kevlars to hopefully get rid of the fade I felt the other day while doing some "spirited" street driving. What do you think of those. Do you know of any big brake upgrades from an 87 944S?
Old 03-04-2003, 12:55 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Big brake upgrade for your car requires parts from a Turbo. Honestly, it's not really necessary unless you've already made it through the brake-fade checklist with no change:

- if fade, change to higher spec fluid
- if fade still, change to higher spec pads
- if fade still, address cooling issues by using slotted rotors, brake ducts, and ceramic or titanium wafer backing plates
- if fade still, learn to drive correctly - downshift, etc
- if fade still, upgrade caliper and rotor - adjust proportioning to taste
- if fade still, you're dead already - give up!

The Carbon/Kevlar pads are great if you're overdriving the Metal Masters. They will certainly stand up to track duty.

S
Old 03-04-2003, 12:59 PM
Alpine951
Drifting

Are there different types of metal masters. i bought some 2 years ago and they were horrible. not as good as the stock Jurids or ATE. I purchased some Hawk blue racing pads last year. these were my first racing type brake pad. I am on my third year of DE and am very happy. Hawk also makes another pad which i think is the HP PLUS which is what i originally ordered but received the racing pads. The HP PLUS are supposed to be a street pad with some occassional track use. Like the racing pads they require some bedding in first but not as aggressively as the blue racing pads.
Old 03-04-2003, 02:23 PM
Porsh-uh
Burning Brakes

Well- I am going to do slotted rotors with the carbon/kevlar pads, s/s brake lines (not to help with fade, but just more protection for those precious brake lines) and will be looking for a recommendation on the type of fluid to use. Rest assured I will be buying all these parts from you. You are very highly recommended on this board.
Old 03-04-2003, 02:29 PM
ERAU-944
Race Car

do they make metal masters for the early cars?
thinking about the future here
Old 03-04-2003, 03:15 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Alpine951:
<strong>Are there different types of metal masters.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Not of Metal Masters, but the brand PBR also makes a "Deluxe" version which are certainly not as good as the "Metal Master" version. I've not heard many say that the OE type Pagid or Jurid are better - they are about $10/axle more expensive than MM's, so that makes them quite popular.

Skip
Old 03-04-2003, 03:18 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Porsh-uh dammit:
<strong>...looking for a recommendation on the type of fluid to use.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Most folks are very happy with Ate Super Blue or Gold (Blue may not be available - discontinued)

Skip
Old 03-04-2003, 03:21 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by ERAU944:
<strong>do they make metal masters for the early cars?
thinking about the future here </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Yes, Front = D209M ... Rear = D210M

Skip
Old 03-04-2003, 04:12 PM
Rod in Orlando
Intermediate

Scott:

Try the Hawks HP+. They are a great value and I have yet to get them to fade even after 45 minutes on track at Sebring. Tire rack has them in stock for our cars.

Did you get to the Mt. Dora Car Festival?
Old 03-05-2003, 11:11 AM
Porsh-uh
Burning Brakes

Hey Rod,
Nope, I didn't get down there. That would have been a ways to drive for crappy weather. I am going to the Amelia Concours this weekend though. I get to see a 917 FOR REAL!!!
Old 03-05-2003, 11:24 AM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 171 Posts
The Carbon/Kevlar pads, even with OEM rotors, should be pretty good. They will squeal like stuck pigs (wife hears me coming home every time). I used to crumble the MM's in the front in one day at the track.

After getting pretty tired of changing pads on grassy paddock ground at every multi-day track event, went to the KFP Magnums (from Skip and team). I like them a lot. They are hell to break in on the street, but a couple of hard laps at the track will do it. I think I get about 3-5 track days out of the fronts now.

I believe your S has the same little winky NA calipers I have. These pads do a nice job. Beware that they stuff a lot of material onto the backing plates. I have needed to file/grind the rears a bit to get them to fit (material just a hair past backing plates). Carbon/Kevlar is hard as bloody stone, so patience is required. Do pull them out once in a while to check for deep cracks in pad material.

Keep the shiny side up,
Old 03-05-2003, 11:30 AM
Al P.
Pro

They've discontinued the Blue?
sob, sob, sob, my life is over :-(
Now that I've gotten over that are there any differences between the Blue and the Gold?
Old 03-05-2003, 11:45 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Dave Swanson:
<strong>&lt;snip&gt;
After getting pretty tired of changing pads on grassy paddock ground at every multi-day track event, went to the KFP Magnums (from Skip and team). I like them a lot. They are hell to break in on the street, but a couple of hard laps at the track will do it. I think I get about 3-5 track days out of the fronts now. &lt;snip&gt;
</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I use the KFP Magnums on my car. I consider them to be intermediate track pads. Absolutely LOVE them! And: they work well with the stock rotors, and don't bite into them as much as a true race pad.

While I'm obviously not as aggressive as Dave Swanson, I got 8 days of DE, and a lot of street driving out of a set of KFP Magnums.

They do squeel like a stuck pig.

-Z.

Quick Reply: Brake Pad question