Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torsion bar advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 11:26 AM
mzman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torsion bar advice needed

It's actually pretty simple I got bunch of stuff January including koni yellows with 350lb springs up front, and a pair of powerbarz 30mm torsion bars. I already have delrin bushings for the rear end as well. Well my delima is I keep hearing how much of a pain it is to install the torsion bars so I have not installed them yet.

So what I am trying to decide if I should go through the trouble to install the torsion bars and index them and what not. Or if I should sell the powerbars and and get a set of koni coils for the rear and do a torsion delete. Is the cost of the coils worth it for a street car setup?
Old 08-10-2009, 11:43 AM
krystar
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sell the torsion bar to me :P

way i figure it...if u have the part, why NOT install it rather than getting a whole new set of parts?

but 30mm torsion will be really stiff ride for a street car....
Old 08-10-2009, 11:54 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

run the t-bars. Done right the extra time vs pull the stock t-bars for rear coilovers is not much more.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:11 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by mzman
It's actually pretty simple I got bunch of stuff January including koni yellows with 350lb springs up front, and a pair of powerbarz 30mm torsion bars. I already have delrin bushings for the rear end as well. Well my delima is I keep hearing how much of a pain it is to install the torsion bars so I have not installed them yet.

So what I am trying to decide if I should go through the trouble to install the torsion bars and index them and what not. Or if I should sell the powerbars and and get a set of koni coils for the rear and do a torsion delete. Is the cost of the coils worth it for a street car setup?
Have you reviewed the writeup on Clark's Garage? (clarksgarage.com). Also look (here?) for the write up on taking out t-bars without dropping the rear suspension. You can "tilt" the carrier enough to pull t-bars out and reinstall them one side at a time.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:09 PM
mzman
Instructor

Yes I have gone over both clarks and the write up here. I printed it off because that is the only way I would be doing it. No way am I dropping the rear end in my garage on stands. I just keep thinking in the back of my head I could just do that job once and not have to worry about indexing... having to get it set and back together only to put it on the ground and realize its not right sounds like a real bummer to me. Is it as bad as it sounds to index the tbars?

And yes krystar if I do sell it they will be in a large list of extra parts that I have to sell on here some time soon. Just need to get a sub first...

I am currently building a dedicated shop with a lift or two on my property. Right now I have a 4 car garage that is full of tools and all the rest that any dedicated gear head needs. But I need that stuff out and in its own place so I can put 4 cars in instead of 2 in the actual garage.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:57 PM
nkgosselin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I was dreading this job and it was not that bad. Seriously. I did it by myself in my driveway on jackstands. One day to remove and clean. Second day to assemble and install.

It would be an EASY one day job with a semi-skilled helper. I removed the tube and trailing arms as a unit. Simple.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:19 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

Just do your homework ahead of time. Then you should only have to drop it once. After you're done, you may never have to do it again for a long, long time.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:27 AM
mzman
Instructor

Alright guys, you have given me the confidence to go ahead and try out the torsion bars this weekend.

Quick Reply: Torsion bar advice needed