Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical System Madness...

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2003, 05:37 PM
Scott '85 Early
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Electrical System Madness...

Greetings...hopefully someone will be able to help me out as Im going insane over all of this.

I noticed as the temps got colder in the fall, once the car had been sitting in 40 degree of colder weather, the oil light, brake pad warning light, and the Brake warning light would flicker when the car was running...it seemed to be happening to the "rhythm" of the engine. Hence it would be more obvious when the care was cold and idling a bit rougher. As the car warmed up, the flicker seemed to go away. In time, this has reached a point where the three lights seem to flicker all the time (although it has been much colder now in Minnesnowta.) Ive reseated the fuse and I pulled the console apart to see if there were any loose wires that might be causing this. (both brake warning lights are on the console as this is the early style dash) So...Im completely out of sorts on where to start looking next for a short. The distance between the two warning lights leads me to think this is in the fuse box somewhere....and thoughts?

The second thing is that a week ago my rear defrost stopped working but the fuse wasnt blown...it did however have a black residue on the copper part and was now green rather than blue. Replacing the fuse seems to have gotten it to work partially, meaning that the window starts to defrost but never fully clears up.

And today, I get in it to find no interior light or radio..the # 7 fuse was blown but I instantly blow every fuse I try installing.

Please help!
Old 02-14-2003, 08:57 PM
Der Cupmeister
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Somewhere in the circuit that fuse *7 protects is a short. Don't try replacing the fuse with one that has a higher amp rating, you might find were the problem is by the smoke !
Can't find my FSM wiring diagrams right now but one thing that is on the circuit for f7 is the Radio relay. It is located on the drivers side of the center console to the right of your knee. Should be clipped to the center console.The fuse also supplies voltage to the rear defroster circuit.

Quick Reply: Electrical System Madness...