Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 Front Wheel Bearing Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009 | 06:19 PM
Clown Pedro
Instructor

Angry 944 Front Wheel Bearing Problems

I ordered wheel bearings from Pelican Parts two weeks ago and this weekend i tried replacing them. I had the inner wheel bearing packed with grease and installed in the hub assembly. When i go to slide the hub onto the spindle the hub gets stuck. After an hour or so of looking like this and this , I came to the conclusion the the inner wheel bearings just do not fit the spindle. They are the correct part # and they look exactly like the one i removed. Is there some trick i need to do to slide the hub onto the spindle? If anyone has any other ideas besides the bearings being defective please tell me because the old bearing slides onto the spindle with relative ease.

I already tried contacting pelican parts for replacement bearings, but they want to charge me for new ones and they'll only refund my money if i return the bearings in the condition i got them in. I don't understand how anyone is supposed to remove new installed races and bearings packed with grease and return them in brand new condition. Does anyone have any ideas on how i should handle this dispute with Pelican Parts? They say they can't send free parts or accept parts for refund if they can't resell them. While, I say the parts aren't free if i paid for them and they sent me defective parts and that defective parts shouldn't be resold to any customer anyways.

BTW does anyone know a friendlier online store i could buy these bearings from or preferably any 944 parts shop in South Florida.
Old 08-03-2009 | 06:29 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Any chance the hub spindle had been replaced with a newer one ?

I also have seen where the old wheel bearing went totally bad and basically fusion welded itself to the spindle making the spindle diameter larger not allowing the new bearing to be installed.
Old 08-03-2009 | 06:44 PM
Clown Pedro
Instructor

Originally Posted by onefastviking
Any chance the hub spindle had been replaced with a newer one ?

I also have seen where the old wheel bearing went totally bad and basically fusion welded itself to the spindle making the spindle diameter larger not allowing the new bearing to be installed.

Thanks for the quick reply

The spindle hasn't been replaced and the old wheel bearing definitely did not weld itself. When trying to slide the inner bearing on the spindle it gets stuck where the spindle diameter expands to the inside size of the bearing.Name:  spindle.jpg
Views: 4166
Size:  46.1 KB

This isn't a 944 spindle, but it still shows where the bearing gets stuck. The old bearing would get stuck at the same point as the new one. The only difference is that the new bearing will not slide on while the old bearing would get stuck, but after a few tries would budge and slide in easy.
Old 08-03-2009 | 06:52 PM
NYFlapjack2
Rennlist Member

Default Measurements & a burr

Can you take your trusty calipers and measure the 2 ID's and confirm they are with in .001" of an inch to each other or close like that? As well measure the spindle OD too and you aren't like trying to fit a bearing OD that is .005" under sized to a larger spindle ID?

If the 2 ID's of bearings are very near equal I would 500/1000 grit what ever your comfort level is deburr spindle & sand with long strips all around polishing up the spindle's OD.

I believe you just have a burr that is stopping it from sliding on. They need to be very square when you go to slide on not cocked at all...perhaps you raised a burr the 1st time trying to install, or when removing?
Old 10-29-2009 | 11:31 PM
Ghostcloak
Advanced

I don't mean to hijack the thread, however, what is the best/easiest way to get the inner grease seal off? I've tried prying, and ended up bending a part of the bearing seal. It's on there pretty tight. Do I need to use a brass punch front the outside (thru the hub) and tap the seal out?
Old 10-30-2009 | 12:12 AM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

There is little on the car as frustrating as the grease seal and the bearing raceways. You have to be patient and use a brass punch. When you fit the race put it in the deep freeze overnight and lightly grease it first. Heat the spindle in the oven, tell the wifey you're baking a surprise. If you don't lube the race it will frost up and stick when you drop it in the spindle. In any case make sure it is seated all the way. Thats where the punch comes in.
Old 10-30-2009 | 12:51 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ghostcloak
I don't mean to hijack the thread, however, what is the best/easiest way to get the inner grease seal off? I've tried prying, and ended up bending a part of the bearing seal. It's on there pretty tight. Do I need to use a brass punch front the outside (thru the hub) and tap the seal out?
I made a video that details this quite well. Search and I think you'll find it.
Old 10-30-2009 | 09:29 AM
Ghostcloak
Advanced

^Found your "DIY - changing front wheel bearings" after I searched for "Bearing Vid." The thread didn't come up on my first 2 initial searches prior to my post here.

I'll take a look at it when I get home. I appreciate it

Last edited by Ghostcloak; 10-30-2009 at 09:30 AM. Reason: .
Old 10-30-2009 | 12:08 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

That is really weird. I have changed front wheel bearings at least 5 times on both early and late 944's and never had that problem. Are you saying the newly assembled hub/seal hangs up or the new inner bearing only hangs up right out of the box when test fitting it on a bare spindle? I have had hubs with a new bearing and seal that were very hard to seat over the shoulder but it was always the seal that was hanging up on the lip, never the bearing.
Old 10-30-2009 | 12:14 PM
Ghostcloak
Advanced

I can take a picture later tonight. The seal is "stuck" in the hub, preventing me from removing the inner bearing. This is for a '85.2. I've only attempted the driver's side. I've yet to remove the hub from the passenger side.
Old 10-30-2009 | 12:31 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Well, the seal is a one-use item. It gets destroyed when it's removed. New ones are just a few bucks.

What sucks is when you forget to put the greased bearing in before you put the seal in... Been there, done that!
Old 10-30-2009 | 01:48 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Van
What sucks is when you forget to put the greased bearing in before you put the seal in... Been there, done that!
Can you post a pic of the palm print you made on your forehead when you realized it? That would truly suck though...I've done worse.
Old 10-30-2009 | 01:48 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

D'OH ! Me too...
Old 10-30-2009 | 02:29 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Van
Well, the seal is a one-use item. It gets destroyed when it's removed. New ones are just a few bucks.

Or completely forgetting to buy the seals when buying bearing kits. I still have trouble remembering this...
Old 10-30-2009 | 11:46 PM
Ghostcloak
Advanced

So based on your second video, you just heat up the entire hub and use the punch to push the seal, inner race/cage, and outer race all out together...

Awesome Makes more sense that way. Clark's Garage advised "prying" out the seal first, then the inner race/cage falls out, and then you go about heating the hub for outer race removal... Your way looks easy. Thanks

Quick Reply: 944 Front Wheel Bearing Problems