Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has Anyone Ever Moved Their Battery Ground From The Bellhousing Spot?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 02:40 AM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Has Anyone Ever Moved Their Battery Ground From The Bellhousing Spot?

I've got Robby's negative kit here and while I'll eventually get the intake back off again and put it where it's supposed to go (I just had the damn thing off for a week and got it all put back together...) - I'm curious if anyone ever has ever run the battery negative cable to anywhere else on the engine block?

I read one post from a while back where someone had ran it to the last bolt on the intake manifold. I suppose there are other spots in the area that wouldn't require making a longer cable. Not sure what the difference would be as long as it's clean and has direct contact with the engine block?

I'm sure the Porsche designers had some rhyme or reason to locate the ground on the bellhousing in a spot that's a total PITA to get to - but I'd like an easy out for a few months until I need to get back under there for something else.

Thoughts?

Also, I read a few things from folks who used a supplemental ground. I'm guessing this is something that goes from the engine block back to the frame or firewall? The few posts I read with folks using some ground straps in that manner indicated it solved some weird gauge fluctuation issues, etc...

I'm kinda running into that now and am hoping a new ground will solve the problem.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:45 AM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

I would highly suggest getting the supplemental ground, basically it runs from the ground bolt on the firewall by the battery to the cam tower...

You can make your own, its a simple cable, i'm sure someone on here can better suggest what gauge wire to use and such
Old 08-03-2009, 03:01 AM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just emailed Robby and told him to send me the whole kit, which includes the supplemental and the positives of course.

I think his supplemental is like IceSharks - it goes from the ground point on the frame under the driver headlight to a bolt on the timing belt cover and from what I've read does make a huge difference - especially when it comes to getting the headlights a little brighter and improving the grounding of anything that's attached to the frame itself.

Any thoughts on an alternate spot on the back of the engine block easier to get to that I can safely and temporarily ground the battery?
Old 08-03-2009, 04:38 AM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

you know what now that you mention it my kit had both cables, one up from and the short one for the rear of the engine too

Quick Reply: Has Anyone Ever Moved Their Battery Ground From The Bellhousing Spot?