Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OPRV Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 03:39 PM
Steve 4001
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OPRV Dilemma

I am changing the seals on the oil cooler, but the allen head bolt that holds my 3 piece OPRV is crazy stuck. I have been pouring on penetrating oil of all kinds 3 times a day for a week (Kroil, PB blaster, Liquid Wrench), tried heating the bolt, impact wrench, cheater bars, etc. The bolt is already beginning to partially round and I am afraid of totally rounding out the bolt. Normally I would just use an extractor to get it out and replace the hardware but I can't find that specific Porsche bolt for sale anymore. I would rather not spend $300 for the updated 1 piece unit to replace a part that is currently functioning without problem. Can I just replace the bolt with some generic hardware-store piece?

Cliff-notes:
Old style OPRV bolt stuck.
I Don't want to buy updated version.
Any ideas on removing bolt without destroying it?
Any ideas on finding a replacement hardware?

picture of bastard bolt is attached
Attached Images  
Old 08-01-2009, 03:58 PM
nkgosselin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Hah. I am suffering the same thing. Mine is in car and leaking. And the PO stripped the bolt.

I got an extra cooler housing with the bolt you are talking about still in it and was able to remove the bolt by, get this, nailing the housing to the wall in my garage, putting in a 3/4 inch drive allen and hanging my 160 pounds from it. It came loose with a loud pop and then easily unthreaded.

Now, to get the one in the car out or I will have to do all the seals like you just did.

Quick Reply: OPRV Dilemma