Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Rode in an MR2 today

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2002, 04:48 AM
Tim Cullison
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post OT: Rode in an MR2 today

Hey guys,
I rode in an MR2 turbo today. Those things are really neat. It was my brothers moms car. He was showing me how the engine is mid mounted and everything and I could hear the turbos engaging when the car acclerated. Those cars have great pickup, when you are accelerating hard and you can see the boost guage climbing, it's really exciting. Well, I just wanted to share that with you guys.

Tim C.
Old 07-31-2002, 05:54 AM
Kierf - ¿§?
Racer

I'm a huge fan of MR2s (see signature). If I wasn't so hell bent on owning a 944 Turbo, I'd be driving an MR2 Turbo instead. My business partner has a '91 Turbo, exhaust, down pipe, A'PEXi S-AFC and an upgraded CT-26 turbo...this thing hauls ***.

The engine in the turbo (3S-GTE) is rock solid. I've seen several push over 400 HP to the wheels with minor internal mods. The 3S-GTE is what is used in the Toyota Supras in the JGTC (http://www.jgtc.net/index_en.htm) as opposed to the twin-turbo 2JZ-GTE. The 3S-GTE is also the basis for the 1000 horsepower Pike's Peak Toyota Tundra and Celica.

Anyways...enough rambling out of me...I think the MR2 is a fun car...and I hope one day the JGTC will come to North America...(HA! It will when hell freezes over).
Old 07-31-2002, 11:04 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I owned a '91 MR2 N/a before buying my 944S2. Not a turbo, but what a wonderful car! Great autocross car. Very nimble handling.

Just watch out for snap oversteer on the pre-'93 models.

Oh, I sold my MR2 to my bro-in-law who swapped in a JSPEC turbo engine (3S-GTE with ceramic coated turbos, different compression and about 230 hp vs. the US spec 3SGTE 200 hp).

If you're interested in MR2's check out their bbs:
<a href="http://board.mr2faq.com" target="_blank">http://board.mr2faq.com</a>
-Zoltan.
Old 07-31-2002, 02:11 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I did some hot laps at Mosport last year in my buddy's Mister Two, with him driving, and in turn two I thought I was going to die. I hate being a passenger, but these things are very quick in the corners.
Old 07-31-2002, 07:16 PM
ribs
Rennlist Member

My celica all-trac has the same motor as an MR2 turbo (3S-GTE)...the only real differences are the manifold orientations, the positioning of the intercooler (SW20 3S-GTE has a side mounted intercooler, while mine has a top mounted intercooler), and the MR2 has a bypass valve while my motor does not (maybe thats why it went through a turbo rebuild at 100,000 miles). Cool car...I was seriously wanting one, but they were all a bit out of my price range for a second car...then I found an all-trac for sale, which is a rare find (1500 or so ST185 all-tracs imported in 3 years...I think there are more lamborghini diablos in the US), and I had to have it. It had its problems, but now I have most of them worked out (needs a front brake job and it has some play in the carrier bearings in the rear differential, NTM a small oil leak out of the cam cover). It picks up good for a 3300 pound car, but would be a lot more fun with some mods...if only I had the money. At least it requires next to no maintenence (oil changes are about all I have done after I replaced the ignition system and the cooling system) and if the timing belt breaks, nothing bad happens since it isn't an interference motor. I still want an MR2 turbo though...

Quick Reply: OT: Rode in an MR2 today