Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird...just weird...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2002, 12:39 AM
ribs
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Weird...just weird...

Well...It had been about 5 days since I last tried to start my 951 (it didn't start at all last week, except for once then it died 10 seconds later) and it fired right up after 1 or 2 motor rotations and idled perfectly today. I drove it around for about 45 mintutes trying to re-charge the battery since I had spent several minutes cranking it last week. I noticed it seems to have a bit better throttle response with the MSD blaster coil I installed, and it doesn't miss at all like it did with the original stock coil. I am going to try to pick up the MSD 6A box from my friend who has one he isn't using...maybe it will give me a bit more. I am still waiting for the DME relay (hopefully that is the problem with the intermittent starting), control arms, visor clips, and other various bits I ordered last week, but maybe some time next week I'll get her 100% streetable.
Old 07-30-2002, 05:13 AM
Hans
Burning Brakes

Hi Ribs
Now you have changed & replaced a lot on that car already, I asume vacuum lines and plug wires rotor and distributor cap are some of them.
So: the change to the MSD coil made some improvement in your intermittent start problem.

Nevertheless: is your intermittent start problem occuring when it is dampey weather (high humidity), forming condensation on the porcelain parts of the plugs?
Just a bit is enough to stop the system...
This is very common in the country I live in, changing the coil will then improve a little at first but wont fix it.
A spray can of "damp start" will.
Then replace the plug boots & start checking for corroded contacts....
TakeCare
Old 07-30-2002, 05:23 AM
Hans
Burning Brakes

Just in case you missed it:
<a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=15&t=009231" target="_blank">http://forums.rennlist.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=15&t=009231</a>
TakeCare

Quick Reply: Weird...just weird...