Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tools to get the job done right...

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 10:52 AM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Since you're not picking up the car until August, you have time for some light reading :
http://alordofchaos.com/Documents/944_owners_manual.mht

^ ^ ^ First thing I do with a new-to-me car

Chances are, transmission fluid has never been changed - a good synthetic will do wonders.

On the oil, the filter is "upside down" - it'll leak all over if you're not prepared. Wrap a plastic shopping bag just under the filter and pull it tightly against the mount to catch the oil, and have lots of rags handy. Don't use xW30 oil, manual specs 20w50 but people here have used xW40 and xW50.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:57 AM
Random255
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

20w50?!?!!? I'm glad you said something, I'd of probably put in Mobile 1 to the tune of 10w30...

What do you recommend? And I was planning on a K&N oil filter, unless someone has a better one to use in a similar price range?

What about the other fluids, what's good for what? (Besides break, that's been covered).

And still wondering where to buy new engine seals.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:27 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Random255
What do you recommend? And I was planning on a K&N oil filter, unless someone has a better one to use in a similar price range?
Do not put a cone filter on your car. You can use a paper filter, or a K&N stock replacement. These cars have a cold air intake that picks up from the driver's side fender well. Putting a cone filter on it makes it WORSE, as you are now picking up hot air from under the hood.

And still wondering where to buy new engine seals.
http://www.paragon-products.com/

http://www.pelicanparts.com/

http://www.944online.com/
Old 07-20-2009, 12:58 PM
aben8057
Drifting

make sure you dont forget the most important tool of all

a hammer and safety glasses

Old 07-20-2009, 02:59 PM
rattlesnakeracing
Rennlist Member

Talking While you are reading...

Originally Posted by alordofchaos
Since you're not picking up the car until August, you have time for some light reading :
http://alordofchaos.com/Documents/944_owners_manual.mht
While you are reading, if you have not been there yet, go to http://www.the944.com/ scroll to the bottom on the left side, select "Workshop Manuals & PET". Bookmark the page and download everything that is applicable.

Forewarning, asking about oil and other fluids is going to get you a blue billion different answers. Do an open search of the threads on "oil" and you will understand what I am saying, extremely easy to "over-educate" yourself on the slippery stuff.

Welcome to the forum !!!
Old 07-20-2009, 03:28 PM
andruuu
Track Day

Many people will disagree with me but if you are on a budget, I have 2 words for you - HARBOR FREIGHT

They have everything you need for ridiculously low prices. I have spent just a few hundred dollars for every tool I need and yes, the quality is not as good but I am not a professional mechanic. I would rather have a variety of tools and have the right tool for the job than have a tool that will last a million years.

The only tool of theirs that broke so far was my $10 angle grinder (easily 40 elsewhere) which I took back and swapped for new no problem, no questions asked. Sign up for their email fliers and you get very good coupons like 20% off. do it now.

www.harborfreight.com
Old 07-20-2009, 03:36 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
If you aren't flushing your brake fluid often, stick with ATE super gold. It has similar temp specs as the blue, and won't stain your reservoir blue. Or use Motul 600/660
I've been running ATE super blue for 10 years, and it's never stained my reservoir...

I know, because I just switched to clear Endless.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:07 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
I've been running ATE super blue for 10 years, and it's never stained my reservoir...

I know, because I just switched to clear Endless.
Then you are lucky, as it is a known issue. Do a search on it. I have seen it stain reservoirs after only a couple of years of use.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:10 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Where can I buy whatever seals I'll need to replace?
I have a full front engine seal kit here including the cam bolt, cam sleeve, balance sleeves and oil pump sleeve gear that I will sell for $125. Also, if you still need the timing belt kit , etc.. , let me know and I can cut you a deal on that as well.

Travis
Old 07-21-2009, 11:04 PM
Random255
Advanced

Originally Posted by Travis - sflraver
I have a full front engine seal kit here including the cam bolt, cam sleeve, balance sleeves and oil pump sleeve gear that I will sell for $125. Also, if you still need the timing belt kit , etc.. , let me know and I can cut you a deal on that as well.

Travis
Travis that sounds great. Besides the kit, I'd like to get a new water pump, rollers, balance belt, the "upgraded" timing belt, and all the specialty tools needed to do the job. Anything you've got that you could maybe get me a deal on, just drop me a line!

-Justin
Old 07-21-2009, 11:08 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Will do. I will put a kit together with pricing and shoot you over a PM in the morning.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:12 AM
Random255
Advanced

Default Seal kits...

I've been told this car leaks some oil going down the road, but not while parked. Sounds like a small seal issue to me.

I searched thru Clark's Garage for "seal" and found replacement instructions for:

LUBE-01, Oil Cooler General Information and Seal Replacement
LUBE-08, Front Crankshaft Oil Seal Replacement
CAM-03, Camshaft Assembly Oil Seal Replacement
ENG-14, Balance Shaft Oil Seal Replacement

Also, under Crankshaft there is a link for "Rear Oil Seal Replacement" but the link doesn't work...

Which of these seals should I be obtaining and trying to replace?

Quick Reply: Tools to get the job done right...