Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

first major breakdown. arrrg, help. (fixed!)

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2002, 10:05 AM
jim968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Skip:
<strong>Okay, before we get started - you're in big trouble here... drive the car to me immediately for diagnosis and repair. Turn-around time is indefinite.

(*snip*)

Unsubstantiable charges to your credit card will be made as time goes by.

I don't know what you're saying, but I like the way you're saying it.

Skip</strong><hr></blockquote>

The first part sounds like a few mechanics I went to decades ago... ain't gone back again, either....;-)... At least you didn't say "Don't drive the car; we'll send a wrecker!"

The sig was a quote from the "Ten Commandments for the Electrical Engineer".

Thanks for the FPR info; after I read your post, I dug out the Robert Bentley manual on Bosch Fuel Injection & Engine Management (_very_ highly recommended for amateurs like me, BTW), and looked at the cut-away & explaination of the FPR. I think I understand it much better now.

BTW, my problem's gone for the moment, at least... I removed & reseated all the relevant relays, which may have been the cure.

Jim, "To become old & wise, you must first be young & stupid."
Old 06-26-2002, 10:17 AM
ERAU-944
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

to those of y'all who don't know the fuel pump relay IS the dme relay as well, the dme signals the fuel pump upon cranking.
Old 06-26-2002, 10:47 AM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

My car kept running with a broken FPR. I was running 8.0 bar of fuel pressure. It went through a tank of gas a lot faster but it never died. I had my FPR replaced with a 3.0 bar as well as a compression check done for $110. Just to give a ball park of what an FPR swap would cost.
Old 06-26-2002, 11:13 AM
jim968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"to those of y'all who don't know the fuel pump relay IS the dme
relay as well, the dme signals the fuel pump upon cranking."

Thanks, Mike. That's what I thought, but I got interuppted by a long phone call the one time I was tracing circuits on the wiring diagram, and never got back to it.

Jim, not a good multi-tasker anymore....
Old 06-27-2002, 03:21 PM
DangerIsland
Burning Brakes

paragon to the rescue!

None of the Seattle area Porsche dealers had a FPR in stock, which is surprising. And my local (Tacoma) one didn't even have a DME.

So Jason hooked me up with everything I needed, all in stock, sent overnight, and beat any prices I could find by a significant ammount. I'm getting some new intake gaskets, DME, FPR, gas cap, and some other little widgets.

I'll be tackling the project this weekend, thanks to everyone for the help so far.
Old 06-27-2002, 09:57 PM
Neverendz
Instructor

Two choices. Throw parts at the car until it's fixed, or diagnose the problem and spend time instead of money. I agree that buying a DME relay is a good move, because even if it doesn't fix it, you'll have a spare. Of course you can jump the relay out and rule it out without spending anything. . . Other than that- fat qwon. I gleaned alot of good information getting my car to start again. I hope I can help.

,Bill
Old 06-30-2002, 01:41 AM
DangerIsland
Burning Brakes

Fixed!

I pulled the fuel rail and replaced the pressure regulator tonight, took barely any time at all, and I was much less nervous about depressurizing/working with the fuel system than I thought I would be.

With the new regulator in, it's running great. Now I just need to watch for fuel leaks the next couple times I use it, and I should be good to go!

Thanks for the help everyone!

In unrelated news, I'm really close to buying a 914. I should have the money in order within a month, and there are a few here in the NW to pick from. Then I can have two project cars to throw $$$ at!

Quick Reply: first major breakdown. arrrg, help. (fixed!)