Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Charcoal cannister, ac system and other questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2002, 06:33 AM
KW951
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Charcoal cannister, ac system and other questions

What exactly does the Charcoal cannister do? I'd really like to just ditch the huge rats nest of hoses and check valves that it hooks into while setting up my Tec-II. The only problem I see to doing this is that it may affect the AC, or heater, or cylinder head cooling?

At the back of the head on the intake side is a coolant pipe going into the head. This pipe has two little vacuum nozzles on it, one black and one red. One of these nozzles hooks into a check valve, which then hooks into the charcoal cannister. The other hooks into the intake manifold. What does this valve do?

My guess is that it is either a thermostat that cuts off coolant flow to help the heater, or it is a valve that opens a direct connection between the intake air pressure and the check valve(and then the charcoal cannister beyond that) based on engine coolant temp.

Anybody know more about this? Am I going to have some wacky heater/ac/coolant problems if I disconnect this stuff?
Old 06-21-2002, 08:30 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts
The charcoal cannister is part of your emissions control system. So depending on where you live and how stringant your emissions inspection is, it would probably be wise to leave it in.
Old 06-21-2002, 04:19 PM
97xray
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does everyone have one of these charcoal canisters? I once posted a question about the mystery cylinder on the driver's side right next to the wiper motor... is that it?

My mechanic laughed at it and said in the three decades he's been working on these cars he's never seen one. He suggested it was part of the vacuum system unique to Euro cars but wasn't sure.
Any help ID'ing it would be great.
Old 06-21-2002, 04:41 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No it's in your drivers-side fender (outside of engine compartment). If you take off your fender liner, you'll see it.
Old 06-21-2002, 07:18 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by 97xray:
<strong> I once posted a question about the mystery cylinder on the driver's side right next to the wiper motor... is that it?</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's the vacuum cannister for the brake booster circuit.

Quick Reply: Charcoal cannister, ac system and other questions