Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STEREO that kicks a@@

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 09:59 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb STEREO that kicks a@@

Ok, here is the thing. I have a porsche 944 Turbo but only have so so sound, I would like to have the sound it should. I have a '86 turbo with only 4 speakers that are 4x6 which aren't the best. I would love to get a set of 6x9 in there either front or back, get a new set of speakers for the other ones then and also I am thinking of adding some tweeters in the door in the upper part(not to sure on location but want them). Has ANYONE does this or anything like it? If so, what did you use, how did you fit it, how does it sound? I already have a pioneer cd player in my car so that is good. Also, I saw on a site about getting a sub unit in the back cubby holes in the car, has anyone made some there self? I would like any info on this too. Thanks!
Old 07-08-2003, 10:05 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Check out the 944 FAQ right here on Renn List - there's a detailed desciption of what can and can't (easily) be done to the stock 4-speaker system. It seems pretty restrictive - that's why I left mine stock. I was also really **** about keeping the car dead-stock. But know I regret it. I have since sold my 951 and am looking for another, or a 944S to tide me over - until I can manage a 993 C4. In either - I will put in serious gear. But will probably have a top notch local shop help. I don't think there's any way to get real bass without a tube or box - is there?
Old 07-08-2003, 10:10 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 324 Posts
KLA Industries has some interesting 944 specific upgrades. See here:

<a href="http://www.klaindustries.net/subwoofer/subwoofer-1.htm" target="_blank">http://www.klaindustries.net/subwoofer/subwoofer-1.htm</a>

<a href="http://www.klaindustries.net/ampedsub/ampedsub.htm" target="_blank">http://www.klaindustries.net/ampedsub/ampedsub.htm</a>

Karl.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:41 PM
led
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FWIW, I don't think 6x9's will fit on the front, at least not without some persuation and serious dremeling. I have 6x9's on the rear cubbys but the car had them when I got it so I can't say if the sound improved, although I'd guess it did 'cuz it sounds nice.
Old 07-09-2003, 12:29 AM
Scootin159
Drifting

6x9's will NOT fit up front (and ever look half decent). By the time you get them out far enough to clear the window track they'll hit the dash. It's not the diameter that's the problem (plenty fo room there), but more the depth of the speaker.

For the front about the best you could do is a 5.25" component set with the tweater mounted higher up on the door panel. Even still it would take some work (although very possible to do). I think there is someone here who did this and it seemed to be a relativly easy job.

I ended up just going with 4x6" plate Infinity Kappa's up front, but even they needed some dremel work to get the magnet to clear.

In the rear however you have plenty of space. If yours was an 87 or later you would actually have stock 6.5" openings (just with a filler plate and a 4x6" there now). Unfortunatly(?) you have an 86, which means you only have a factory 4x6" opening. This may be a mixed blessing however as it would make it easier to dremel it out and put in a 6x9" speaker there. You have plenty of room diameter wise, and quite a bit depth wise (my 6.5" Kappa's fit just fine). About the only problem in the rear is tweeter protrusion, of which you have about 0" (if you want to keep the factory look). When working on the rear speakers, remove the rear windows, it is stupid easy and will make life much easier.

For bass (while keeping a factory look), I think about the best you can do is to get either one or two (depending on your $$ and storage needs) of the KLA sub boxes. I know it's only a 8" sub, but think of the volume of this car and an 8" sub is more than enough. If you really want to thump, just wait (shouldn't be long now) for them to finish their 10/12" spare tire box.

EDIT: and for some real fun get a 996 head unit (it's made by Becker, the same model found in all new Porsche's and Ferrari's). If you get one of the Porsche models (check ebay) it'll even say "PORSCHE" when you first turn it on .
Old 07-09-2003, 12:46 AM
red9four4
Three Wheelin'

click links in sig i got tweets in my door panels

just measured depth too for the front, on my 83 it is 1 7/8" withouth the door panel, so another 1/4" or so
Old 07-09-2003, 12:47 AM
red9four4
Three Wheelin'

i will post pics of the door panel with the trim off showing the depth and everything in a little bit
Old 07-09-2003, 01:36 AM
snappy
Racer

I just gave up on the standard system, installed the best of the best and it still sounds &lt; insert C*** here &gt; compared to what I wanted. I have a 1986 N/A and have to admit that these cars are a bit of a curse and a sait. The curse it the front stages the front dorr panels are just a joke for serious 3 way systems. You would have to mold a new completeky rebuild door panel. The saint part is the back window. With the propper placement you would be able to produce some of the cleanest sounding bass in the industry due to the angle of the class. But the catch is that you need to be close to it. The enclosure's from KLR industries are really nothing more than a hack, it will definately increase your bass but I am pritty sure the 8" will have eaither to much 'volume'(as in CuFt.) or to little. Every SUB manufacturer has there own specifications as to the enclosure recomendations. Not all subs are free air subs, ot all subs play louder in a ported enclosure ect. ect. I opted for a diamond audio 10" 2 ohm I run in in series "4 oHm" and push arround 800 RMS into it. I was going to run 2 of these at the back but after I build the first one in it was more than the fronts could handle. I removed the spare tire and build a custom rack in there that hold the rockford fosgate 1500 Rms mono amp in there and a Rockford Fosgate 800 x4 wich Pushes the two front Diamond Audio Hex Silk S600 6.5" Components and the rear Diamond Audio Hex S500s 5-1/4" components. This is all fed from a Blaupunt Toronto to a Audiocontroll THREE.1 crossover. At the moment the sub is still to loaud for the fronts and the rears are to far away. If only I could have fitted in the rest of the 3 way components I had for the front. They come with a set of 4" aswell but could not find a propper place for them. I had to do some modification under the door panel but they look pritty close to stock. I had to run a 4' Guage powerline to the rear of the car into a BATCAP 300 Farad cap /batery for power. Needless to say alot of money later and I am still bumbed out that it does not sound the way it should. The bass will shake your fillings out but the fronts just cant keep us in a 2 way setup I desperately miss the extra 200 Watt RMS infront.

My sugestion would be to get a propper source unit. A 2 channel 2 Ohm Stable 400 Watt amp. If you would like controll over your fronts and rears you should get a 4 cahnnel amp instead. But then you start entering "Am I spending to much money". Remember to wire up the speakers so you get the 2 oHm stable setup. Make sure you get a 2 Ohm stable amp. Also Read the information the give on the amp carefully, most of the amp company's would say it is a 1000Watt amp. but if you read they say it would get that at 16Volts. And we all know the volt thing happing in our cars. So if you aim for about 400 Watt that should drive your 80 watt Bostons ot 70 Watt infinity's pritty well. For a bolt on Sub look at things like the JBL BassPro 100W Amplified Bandpass Subwoofer, The dont look all that bad and are pritty small. It does not need an amp to drive it. Kicker and bazooka makes some ones aswell. The rear 4x6 sound amazing actually. The are fuller in sound due to there enclosed space arround them.

I am almost done with mine, work is taking up all my free time at the moment. I would be more than happy to share any info anyone is interested in.

PS. I have a spare diamond audio 10" enclosure here at home that I am going to place on ebay soon. I live in Tiburon California, If somone is interested drop me a line. I also have 3 amps a 700W rms and 400W RMS and 100W RMS with crossovers.
Old 07-09-2003, 01:59 AM
brrt50cal
Addict
Rennlist Member

Euro on these boards designed an ingenious enclosure for the back that can hold a 12" sub and 6x9 on each side.
Old 07-09-2003, 03:09 AM
T.Asay44
Advanced

I just took out by back seat and built a custom box that holds two 6x9s, an amp and two 8" subs. It even bolts in so I can remove it and put the seats back in if I need too.
Old 07-09-2003, 03:22 AM
Randy_J
Three Wheelin'

Twin Bazooka subs strapped behind the seats (easily removable) with mono 200W amp and the OEM 10 speaker option, Sony CD deck. Awesome sound.

You can see photos in my Rennlist Gallery below/

Just set your budget and work to that figure!

The best music is still between 4200 and 6000 rpm though.
Old 07-09-2003, 04:23 AM
Sami951
Drifting

I just replaced all four 4x6 speakers with some new ones and added a 10" sub into the trunk. It's probably not a perfect setup by audiophile standards but I love it
Old 07-09-2003, 09:37 AM
slevy951
Former Sponsor

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by snappy:
<strong> The enclosure's from KLR industries are really nothing more than a hack, it will definately increase your bass but I am pritty sure the 8" will have eaither to much volume or to little to breate.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Boy, that's quite a criticism. Have you seen or heard my product? I will admit, there's not much space in the cubby's, but my box works VERY well. There is enough air for an 8. I have one customer who is competeing with just one and a JL sub! It sounds that good!
Old 07-09-2003, 01:48 PM
*eurospeed951*
Burning Brakes

<a href="http://members.rennlist.com/eurospeed951/sound.jpg" target="_blank">http://members.rennlist.com/eurospeed951/sound.jpg</a>

the setup I created alows you to keep your storage space as well as your spare tire. I have 2 12" subs, 2 6x9's, 2 5 1/4", 2 godd size amps, pluse a nice sony head unit. I can post more details if you are interested
<a href="http://members.rennlist.com/eurospeed951/sound1.jpg" target="_blank">http://members.rennlist.com/eurospeed951/sound1.jpg</a>
Old 07-09-2003, 02:17 PM
snappy
Racer

slevy951, regarding the enclusure, what is the volume you get out of that enclosure. Which JL's is he using?

Here is a sample of requirements in sealed enclosures for the 8" JL's.

Model 8W3v2 0.30-0.50 cu.ft.
Model 8W0 0.30-0.60 cu.ft
Model 8W7 0.875 cu. ft.

the point I tried to make was not regarding the quality of your build or product, it was regarding making an one size fits all enclosure. I would be more than willing to help you build one with a specific series and performance subwoofer that is designed to work at it's best inside that enclosure. It's like putting 21" mags on a minni. Hey bigger mags should give better handling but you end up doing more good than bad. By "tuning" your enclosure you can in most cases double the sound quality and performance of your subwoofers.

Anyway I could go on forever on this topic. Drop me a line and I can help crunch some numbers for you so you can "port match" or "flow match" your enclose for a series speaker.

Quick Reply: STEREO that kicks a@@