Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedtrap: Measured at 62 MPH in 45 MPH...do I have a chance at 'not guilty'?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2002, 05:03 PM
User 462021
Banned

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by John Welch:
<strong>

Tim,

No flame, but I'm curious as others have made this same comment before... Why is going to court to beat the system any different than using a radar detector and other means of not getting caught in the first place?

What I'm saying is that ticket avoidance includes many actions while driving, but why should my ticket avoidance stop before I actually receive my conviction?

Based on what you're saying, I should just write a check before I leave the house in the morning and hand it to the first officer I see as I WILL be speeding.

Besides, if the person manages to 'beat' the ticket, then can play again tomorrow...

Just my $1.380</strong><hr></blockquote>

You misunderstood what I ment. I have no problem with people speeding. Do what you want. Use radar detectors. I would buy one if I did a lot of highway driving. Heck, I was going well over the speed limit yesterday going to the ER. My only arguement is, why not take responsiblity for your actions. You chose to speed, so when/if you get caught you shouldn't be upset about paying the speeding ticket. The person is guilty, so why try and lie about it and say you were not guilty. Of course their are always exceptions but what kind of example do we set for younger people? We are teaching them that if you have enough money you can get away with things. Thats the problem with this country today. Look at all these big corporations who are trying to cover up all these different things. It makes our country look bad.

Anyways, these are just some of my opinions...I am young and they change often...

Not flaming...
Old 07-29-2002, 06:55 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by deepice:
<strong>

I'm sure its the minimum allowed by law to.

You realy are an assclown for STREET RACING a porsche with only liability insurance.</strong><hr></blockquote>

now you are the assclown. is he a assclown for street racing? yes. does having only liability change ANYTHING? no. not for the other people that he may hit. as for having the minimum allowed by law, I don't think you have any basis for making that claim. there are 3 cars in my household, only one of them has comp. on it (my porsche), but all of them have 4x the legal minimum for liability.
Old 07-29-2002, 07:08 PM
JB '87 944
Instructor

Go to court, plead guilty with an explanation, "In the interest of public safety I passed a motorist who I noticed was swerving in the right hand lane and I did not feel comfortable driving beside him. I've not had any traffic infractions for over 13 years. Please take this into consideration".

Be sure to say IN THE INTEREST OF PUBLIC SAFETY.
Old 07-29-2002, 07:52 PM
Deepice
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
[quote]Originally posted by Tabor Kelly:
<strong>

as for having the minimum allowed by law, I don't think you have any basis for making that claim. .</strong><hr></blockquote>

My basis is the intelligence level of AMAF's other posts on this board.
Old 07-29-2002, 09:12 PM
FormulaOne10
Rennlist Member

[quote] My basis is the intelligence level of AMAF's other posts on this board. <hr></blockquote>

That is exactly what I was referring to in my other post. Deepice is right on. As for liability insurance, it is the minimum required by law for the overwhelming majority of states (possibly all but I'm not sure so I won't say). I think deepice is hitting the nail squarely here.
Old 07-29-2002, 09:41 PM
Mark Parker
Burning Brakes

Unhappy

No matter what you might think about AMAF's present or previous posts I gotta' go with him on this point, THEY ARE GOING TO LIGHTEN YOUR WALLET ONE WAY OR ANOTHER. And that is what the game is about. Whether you pay the fine and risk higher insurance and loss of points, or hire a lawyer and pay more money now to try and save some later, you gonna' be out of pocket some money.
Old 07-29-2002, 11:04 PM
ram_one
Racer

FWIW, I spent a day in traffic court about a month ago. The prosecutor spent the first 90 minutes just going through all the moving violations on the docket and offering plea bargains.
If you present yourself well and articulate well, you will probably get a good break. Especially if you throw in the 13 years without incident line.
There were two people with lawyers. IMO, they did not fare much better than the average Joes without representation.
Old 07-29-2002, 11:09 PM
amaf
Banned

Take a look at this:

<a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=15&t=009233" target="_blank">http://forums.rennlist.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=15&t=009233</a>
Old 07-29-2002, 11:29 PM
Deepice
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
They delayed my court date for 3 FREAKING MONTHS!! They just keep postponing it.
--------------------

1988 '924S DARKBLUE
AUTOMATIC TRANS, 63K MILES

aim: ar naf

AMAF you posted this on the 25th on this thread

<a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=15&t=009068" target="_blank">http://forums.rennlist.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=15&t=009068</a>

So witch one is the truth? or do you have 2 tickets?
Old 07-30-2002, 07:46 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wow- I just got a 61 in a 45 several nights ago and have been watching these threads lately to decide what to do- I am definately going to court over it- it was 1:00AM on a 4-lane highway w/NO traffic around- Only two fu**ing cars went by the entire time I was pulled over while he was writing a ticket (~15 minutes- pretty quick though, considering what it normally takes...). Anyway, I am going to get a radar detector- i asked the cop what he was using, and he said he didn't know- I mentioned several bands, and he said that it wasn't laser or instant-on, but he didn't know anything else about it- I asked when it was last calibrated and he didn't know that either. First off, had I had a Valentine or Passport, I would probably have not been nailed to begin with, and second, since he didn't know anything about his radar, I'm HOPING that I can use that to my advantage...

If I have to pay, then I will, and wont cry about it- I can handle the responsibility, but it pisses me off the way speeding is so highly scapegoated. I can understand DUI or following too closely, etc, but simple speeding under such good conditions seems pointless to me- epecially considering how much better vehicles can handle such said speeds compared to 40yrs ago when many of the speed limits were actually set...
Old 07-30-2002, 02:52 PM
TheJonesBoy
Advanced

Danm. Amaf may have had some &lt;ahem&gt; issues on other threads, but thats not a justification of your flaming him on this one.

His advice was sound. Lets move on with life.
Old 07-30-2002, 03:41 PM
pedro951
Instructor

im not sure about this but im guessing texas has a slightly diffrent system for traffic court. i had never heard of points on a license until i got on this board, and ive been stopped a few times. mostly the radar detector means i get a warning for no front license plate, but ive gotten nailed for speeding a few times too.
here they give u several options to keep a clear record. every twelve months or so your allowed to take defensive driving to dismiss a ticket, and there is also differed adjudification, which i think is a fancy word for probation. if u dont get a ticket within a time period they drop it from your record. cops have even recomended these to me at the stop, so i guess they just wanted credit for the ticket. all of these options are listed on the court information, and ive never dealt with a judge or prosecuter, only the clerks at the court, and sometimes over the phone.
they make it pretty easy to get off down here, but they also really like to give out tickets.
Old 07-30-2002, 04:44 PM
bpp944
Pro

If your interested in avoiding speeding tickets all together, you could always buy smaller tires for your car!

Old 07-30-2002, 08:20 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

[quote]Originally posted by pedro951:
<strong>im not sure about this but im guessing texas has a slightly diffrent system for traffic court. i had never heard of points on a license until i got on this board, and ive been stopped a few times</strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't know about all states, but we have the points thing in TN too- you get a certain amount for each ticket, but don't really know how many unless you look it up (TN Driver's Handbook) or, if you get above 6 in a 12 month period- they will send you a letter to let you know you're more than half-way there- you can also go to a local DMV and get a print-out. Anyway, they're only supposed to stay on there from the date recorded (not the date you actually recieved the citation- can be MONTHS b/t too). If you get 12 w/in a year, you are supposed to get your license suspended- I've known people to get WELL above 12 though, and get probation for a few months- you know- "no points w/in the next 6 months and we'll let it slide..." sort of thing...

Anyway, that's the point system here in TN, to the best of MY knowledge anyway...
Old 08-14-2002, 02:32 PM
tt9714
Racer

I finally had my court date this morning.
In summary:
* I showed proof of insurance - charges dropped
* I pleaded guilty to speeding
* The judge asked if I had any tickets in the last two years. I said "no"
* She immediately offered court supervision (without my asking)
* I paid the $75 fine
* I was done in 30 minutes from start of court session.

Overall, this experience was more of a PITA than anything else. I didn't have a driver's license for 2 1/2 weeks [license taken by officer since no proof of insurance in car]so I stayed close to home (no roadtrips out of state). I have started to watch my speed more closely, because I have come to the conclusion that it's just not worth the risk to fork over the $$ to fatten the wallets of some local municipality and take the chance at having higher insurance rates. I will save the high speed runs for the track or highway (only if I have a radar detector).

Quick Reply: Speedtrap: Measured at 62 MPH in 45 MPH...do I have a chance at 'not guilty'?