Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Little bit OT: My car needs a Title (again) and Why I HATE the CA DMV

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009 | 01:30 AM
nh7cy
Three Wheelin'

Default Little bit OT: My car needs a Title (again) and Why I HATE the CA DMV

Forgive me, just need to rant. For some of you, you've probably had similar experiences.

So I bought my S2 back in January which is when this all started. Soon after buying my car, I go to the DMV with all of the appropriate paperwork, title, proof of insurance, a handful of cash and go through all of the steps to get the car transferred.

..and now its June..

I've gone back to the DMV four times, taking many hours off of work just to sit in line for their incompetence. First they tell me that I need to resubmit the paperwork for my title and registration, this I do. I wait and wait and wait for my paperwork and license plates with nothing coming in the mail. So I call the DMVs main office in Sacramento and inquire about my car. The clerk at the other end informs me that they received my paperwork at the end of February and they'll need three months to complete it. I tell this clerk that I am holding the Field Office's receipt in my hand showing the paperwork was done at the beginning of January. He insists I must have the wrong information and hangs up.

I get a letter in the mail four months later saying that my registration is incomplete and the DMV will not be sending me my license plates (the owner kept his personalized plates) because I owe the DMV registration for 2010 (due in May). I think to myself, had the DMV processed my application on time, they could have sent me my plates and title BEFORE my registration was due. So I grudgingly take time off of work and go down to the field office (I don't trust the DMV enough to actually send them something, I need to see them do the work in person) and pay my registration fees for 2010.

A few weeks later I get a letter from the DMV stating that they can't send me my title, registration and plates because I need to RE-SUBMIT the paperwork I completed in JANUARY, it is now JUNE. I call the DMV and they give no explanation for this. The individual who answered the phone simply said "Well it's because the application is incomplete" and hung up the phone.

I seem to remember filling out, and refilling out paperwork on several other occasions. So what gives? I go down to the DMV office and stand with the clerk as she faxes all of the required paperwork to Sacramento (they had me fill out this application for transfer of title, for the third time not counting the title itself with my name and signature on it).

Fast forward to today. I get a letter in the mail from the DMV stating that they need the ORIGINALS of the car's Title and any accompanying paperwork.

Could this be?

Because I remember very clearly going to the DMV field office in January and handing the clerk the car's ORIGINAL title. So it appears now, that the DMV has lost it.

I am now on my fourth temporary sticker or should I say, Numbered Paper Square, the last one I was issued is valid until October, 9 months to the day I applied for my registration and title..

What is going on here???

I'm going up to the main office in Sacramento on Monday to find out. I'll probably just get the run around, but go figure..
Old 06-19-2009 | 01:36 AM
krazykarl
Burning Brakes

That doesn't sound like much fun, government efficiency at its finest.
Old 06-19-2009 | 01:43 AM
krystar
Drifting

clearly u need to speak to a supervisor at the DMV....
Old 06-19-2009 | 03:06 AM
nh7cy
Three Wheelin'

I have, they keep telling me the problem is "out of their hands", which is why I'm taking the time to drive up to Sacramento on Monday and knocking on head supervisors office doors.. Pretty much the only way to get things done.
Old 06-19-2009 | 03:16 AM
jonnybgood
Burning Brakes

Contact your State Congressional Representative. One call from him or her to the DMV will have your problem corrected very quickly.
Old 06-19-2009 | 12:23 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Sounds like the CA DMV. I always hated going in to the CA DMV, but the Oregon folks are shocked when I have all my paperwork ready when I get to the counter. I learned my lesson living in CA!
Old 06-19-2009 | 12:39 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Sounds like there must be some issue with the original title. Were there any past due fines or anything odd when you bought the car like the seller flipped the car and didn't sign the pink or pay sales tax? It took 6 weeks on my S and 12 weeks for me to get title on the F250. I doubt that going to Sac will help at all. Any field office has the same info that Sac has. I would be pissed to no end if I was in your shoes. Good luck, those people are worthless at DMV.

Last edited by KuHL 951; 06-19-2009 at 03:22 PM.
Old 06-19-2009 | 01:12 PM
Burma Shave
Burning Brakes

I never thought I say this but I'm sure glad I live in Alabama.
Old 06-19-2009 | 02:57 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Time to turn it into a track car.

Sorry to hear that man...just think healthcare will be just like the DMW soon!
Old 06-19-2009 | 03:29 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

In CO if they take your title they give you a Title Receipt. Here it looks just like registration paperwork but says 'TITLE RECEIPT ONLY' across the top. Hopefully CA does this too and if they have lost the title you can wave that receipt at them.

Otherwise you might have to find the seller and beg him to get a new title printed up. I have done this in the past a couple times for people who have bought a car from me and then somehow lost or goofed up the title work.

-Joel.

Quick Reply: Little bit OT: My car needs a Title (again) and Why I HATE the CA DMV