Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 for DE

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2003, 02:23 PM
kinkboy
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 944 for DE

Talked to e tachie at pelican Parts. He said he preferred 911 SC's over 944's because of their durability etc. I just got an S2 and had peppered him with questions about the infamous rod bearing issue.
911's do have their weakpoints BUT it does seem that on the track they won't usually suffer an oil starvation problem like the 944 ( and to be fair many M3's suffer from this.) Do ya think the 911 is just built that much better.

by the way, a very knowledgable 944 guru told me that typically the #2 rod bearing goes out after hard braking into a right hand turn. Inteesting. Comments to all the above??!!
Old 01-24-2003, 02:31 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes: the #2 rod bearing can be an issue on the track if you're not careful. On the long, sweeping high speed Right-hand turns (like the BOWL at Pocono), oil starvation can occur if you're low on oil. This occurs because the oil cooler is on the right hand side of the car, and the centripital forces in a high speed RH corner prevent the oil from properly circulating.

HOWEVER: if you pay attention to your oil levels and keep on eye on the oil pressure, you should be ok. Also: the use of synthetic oil tends to lenghten the replacement interval.

Another option is to install an accusump (sp?) that will ensure the oil gets where it needs to be regardless of the forces acting upon the car.

I have tracked my 944S2 (DE's) and have never had an issue with oil starvation.

Hope this helps,
-Z.
Old 01-24-2003, 04:04 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FWIW, I'd always heard that the oiling issues are more a concern in the earlier cars and that the later cars (S2 included) have improved baffling in the pan to reduce this problem.
Old 01-24-2003, 04:35 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by Dave:
<strong>FWIW, I'd always heard that the oiling issues are more a concern in the earlier cars and that the later cars (S2 included) have improved baffling in the pan to reduce this problem.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Dave, while what you say is true, bear in mind that it is the location of the external oil cooler (down low, right side front) in the later cars that can result in the oil starvation problem. So while the baffling helps, the oil still can't return to the cooler due to the centripital force.
-Z.

Quick Reply: 944 for DE