Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mahle oil filter VS. regular oil filter ?????????

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2002, 02:55 PM
JB '87 944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'Nuff said about Fram filters....but I couldn't help but notice a TV commercial this weekend on a pretty neat drain plug option Fram has come up with that would assist do-it-yourself oil change guys like myself.

I can't remember the name of this tricky dicky jim dandy gizmo, but it looks like you simply replace the regular drain plug with the new Fram 'female' drain plug. To drain your oil, simply unscrew a protector cap (no oil come out)then screw in the 'male' oil drain hose/cap (without removing the female drain plug)and presto...the oil comes out down a tube with no fuss, muss and no burned hands. Don't know if it fits 944's, but if it does I'll be buying it.
Old 07-29-2002, 03:20 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is another solution by a manufacturer in Japan. Begins with an F , I forget exactly what the name is. Performance Products sells it. Anyway, it is a positive stop levered ball valve you screw into the stock drain hole. In our cars the exit hole is horizontal so I got a small 90 degree stainless tube elbow ~ 1/4" diameter, and JB Welded that in the exit hole to point down.

Now I just stick a plastic tube over the end and drain into a milk jug. Works pretty slick but takes a while to drain due to the small tube diameter .... like 20 minutes. I just use that time to change the filter and check out the engine bay.
Old 07-29-2002, 09:34 PM
RJP 951
Racer

This is an excellent study that I came across a couple of years ago. Definitely will scare you out of a Fram. As I recall the author received threats of lawsuits or other action by some of the manafacturers, on the basis that he wasn't technically qualified, etc, etc. Hmmm....

<a href="http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/oil_filter_study/" target="_blank">http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/oil_filter_study/</a>

Hope this helps.
Ron
Old 07-30-2002, 08:48 PM
951sickness
Instructor

Tremelune...would those OEM filters be white in color? Just curious because had one on my car and developed an oil leak in the filter area.
Old 07-30-2002, 10:12 PM
JGriff
Racer

[quote]Originally posted by IceShark:
<strong>There is another solution by a manufacturer in Japan. Begins with an F , I forget exactly what the name is.</strong><hr></blockquote>

<a href="http://www.fumotovalve.com" target="_blank">Fumoto Valve</a>

I've used them before, and ordered one for my Audi (which I haven't put in yet... at the next oil change I will) and my S2. However, for whatever reason, the one for my S2 did not fit. It wouldn't thread in enough to make contact with the pan... part of the plug was hitting the oil pan in such a way to prevent it from seating. I don't know why... maybe someone at some point deformed my oil pan by applying too much torque? Who knows...

Anyway, I recommend them. It's a nice design, and it sure makes the oil change process a lot easier, and there is less of a chance that you will strip the threads or overtighten the drain plug.

Quick Reply: Mahle oil filter VS. regular oil filter ?????????