Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on rebuilding fuel injectors

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2003, 02:07 PM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 67 Posts
Red face Advice on rebuilding fuel injectors

I am planning on rebuilding the fuel injectors on my '87 944S tonight and was wondering if there are any special procedures or tricks that I should know. I bought a set of new o-rings and seals, but what is the best way to clean the nozzles? I was going to let them sit in a bucket of B-12, but is there a better way to do it? Also, are there any seals/o-rings that can be replaced in the fuel rail? As always, thanks for any input!
Old 01-24-2003, 02:47 PM
Bryan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I always send my injectors to RC Engineering. They do the full cleaning service and don't send them back to you until they're all balanced and flowing to spec with perfect patterns.

For some reason, they always beadblast my injectors, so I have to paint them when I get them back. If you don't want to get them back in raw steel, maybe request them not to beadblast them.

It takes about a week total, or a little more, to get them sent out, turned around, and sent back. But they're like new when you get 'em back.

They made a huge difference in my 928, not so much in the 944. The 928 injectors were bad - bad patterns, dripping, etc. The 944 injectors were decent to start with it turns out.

Bryan
Old 01-24-2003, 05:12 PM
jenket944
Pro

I just rebuilt my injectors on Wednesday night when I was putting in a replacement fuel rail. I used standard rubbing alcohol to clean them, but the o-rings from the top (where the injector joins the fuel rail) were fresh while the ones on the bottom were crap which led me to believe that they had been worked on recently (I bought the car last April). The only tip I have is to put silicone spray or automatic transmission fluid on the o-rings when installing the injectors. Makes them slide into place a more easily.
Old 01-24-2003, 07:05 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Any fuel injector service shop can do it, most specialize in large diesel trucks. They will flow test before and after and give you the numbers, and some also check the spary pattern for you. I paid US$65 for all four and they replaced the O-rings as part of the price. They probably use an ultrasonic cleaner or something like that. If you give them your O-rings, it might cost you less.
Old 01-24-2003, 07:57 PM
steven storch
Advanced

Go to: <a href="http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/944_fuel_injector_clean/944_fuel_injector_clean.htm" target="_blank">http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/944_fuel_injector_clean/944_fuel_injector_clean.htm</a>

This is a great article on completely cleaning and restoring the injectors. Must have access to a compressor and few miscellaneous parts to do a complete job.

Otherwise, shop around for injector cleaning services...shouldn't have to pay more than 45.00 for all 4 injectors, including new o-rings and pintle caps.

Quick Reply: Advice on rebuilding fuel injectors