Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil leak related to buring smell?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2002, 11:23 PM
yoyoguy2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post oil leak related to buring smell?

had an oil leak on my 86 951, my mechanic said it was balance shaft seals, so he did all the front end seals, and threw on a new timing belt and water pump while it was apart (said timing belt was covered in oil & splitting). car still leaks oil, took it back, said it was the oil pressure sender. car still leaks oil. i was wondering if this could be related to a burning smell i get occasionally, expecially when starting from a stop, i've even gotten smoke from the hood once or twice, i figured this was new belts slipping a little before they broke in, but is continuing.... any ideas on other oil leaks or the smoking? i havne't gotten under the car myself recently, as soon as i get my jack stands back from a friend who's borrowing them i plan to. can't see where the leak is coming from at all right now, it's dripping off the edges of the cover under the engine, seems to be quite a bit, less since it was "fixed" the last time. btw, car only leaks onto the driveway if it is off, not when running.
Old 07-27-2002, 01:59 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check your cam tower gaskets, it may be leaking directly onto your exhaust manifold. Also check the little cover on the back of the cam tower next to the firewall-- it has a cork gasket, and tends to develop leaks over time.

cheers

Thaddeus

Quick Reply: oil leak related to buring smell?