Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need passenger side external door handle

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 04:46 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 836 Likes on 525 Posts
Default Need passenger side external door handle

Finally took the door panel off my girlfriend's car (85.5). Found the lever that pushes the link to the latch is broken off.

Any one willing to part with one of these? The cost of a new one is out of the question. Looking for a good used one at a fair price.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Scott at Team Harco; 06-09-2009 at 07:07 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:29 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
Finally took the door panel off my girlfriend's car (85.5). Found the lever that pushes the link to the latch is broken off.

Any one willing to part with one of these? The cost of a new one is out of the question. Looking for a good use one at a fair price.
What door? Drivers or passengers?

And, if I'm understanding you properly, that might be a replaceable piece (but not one you can get separately - meaning you could pull it off of an otherwise broken, ugly, or mismatched handle).

Edit for clarification: is it held in with a roll pin?
Old 06-09-2009, 06:13 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 need more clarification

I have one if its what I think you need.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:18 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

As stated in the subject line - it is the passenger's side.

I know about the roll pin idea. I have messed with that in the past with no success. Would much prefer the whole assembly - similar to the image pilfered from Pelican. Key is not required - but I wouldn't object if it's included.

Thanks for the replies.

For further clarification on the roll pin - the two tabs that guide the pin are pot metal, I believe. This is, generally speaking, rather weak on parts of this age. Hence my comment about no success in the past when messing with this idea. But I do believe you are correct. The part could be repaired by pushing out the roll pin, removing what's left of the lever and installing a part that is not broken.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:25 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

You will save a bunch of money replacing the broken part that requires the rollpin.

I have a passenger side early handle with an insert and I have a passenger side script handle. I'd rather sell you the set of script handles though.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:35 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ritzblitz
You will save a bunch of money replacing the broken part that requires the rollpin.

I have a passenger side early handle with an insert and I have a passenger side script handle. I'd rather sell you the set of script handles though.
Possibly. But if it turns out the same way it has each time I have tried such an endevour - it will be money totally wasted. There does not seem to be a good way to support the tabs properly while pressing the pin out or in. Got any secrets to that?

My understanding - from what is listed on Pelican - is that the early handles (83 - 85.1) are different from the ones we have on our cars (both 85.5). I do believe the script handles will work. However, price may be an issue. I was offered a set of script handles at one time for a similar repair on my car. The cost was a bit too rich for me. I'm fairly certain Jen will not be willing to spend a whole lot on this project either. You see we're both Scots.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:43 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Hmmm Id sell you both scripts for $100 plus shipping so yeah its probably a little steep. They have a oem porsche lighted key and lock cylinders though hehe. And yes the early handles are different. Id say try the replacement part instead of the entire handle. Although I replaced mine but the rollpin fell out eventually even after smashing it in.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:04 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Ritz - I'll get back if she is interested in the scripts.

In the meantime let me know about the Ferrari. Is that you? If so, I assume the shot was taken at a track day type of event. Maybe at Pocono? Looks like it might be a little bit of fun to track such a car.

Like the avatar as well...
Old 06-09-2009, 07:24 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Haha it's not me, it used to be a listers car though actually.

But I took the picture. It was at last years memorial day Ferrari Club event. Good time! PM me if you're interested in the scripts. Im getting tired of looking at them.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:05 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

OK, so I fail at reading the subject line. Let me take a look in my garage for you. I had my driver's side door wiped off and bought scripts. I still have the passenger's side, but can't remember if I ended up pulling the roll pin or not to install it. If I still have it, I'll take the "get it the hell out of my garage rate" of shipping to you if its OK.

It's the non script (obviously) with the horrible plastic inlay. That's probably what you've got. If its OK, I'll post a pic.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:07 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DarylJ
OK, so I fail at reading the subject line. Let me take a look in my garage for you. I had my driver's side door wiped off and bought scripts. I still have the passenger's side, but can't remember if I ended up pulling the roll pin or not to install it. If I still have it, I'll take the "get it the hell out of my garage rate" of shipping to you if its OK.

It's the non script (obviously) with the horrible plastic inlay. That's probably what you've got. If its OK, I'll post a pic.
Excellent. That's probably exactly what we need.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:24 AM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is another option on the door handle repair or replacement.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...ht=door+handle

GL
John_AZ
Old 06-10-2009, 09:33 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Good information.

Every time we visit our local "pick-a-part" salvage yard we specifically look for Audis and VWs with that style of door handle. It seems their owners have similar problems. All the good ones are gone.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:06 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Still looking...
Old 06-13-2009, 12:23 AM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Hey if you need the one with the insert, I have it. I think you just need the script style without script though haha.

Quick Reply: Need passenger side external door handle