Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

where can i find an old style waterpump?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2002, 09:17 PM
RS 2.7
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post where can i find an old style waterpump?

what a bummer! i just had all the belts done and we decided not to replace the water pump because we thought it had a lot more life left in it.

anyway a week goes by and i hear a lot of clicking and rattling so we get the cover off and the waterpump bearing is moving and i need a new pump

whats wierd is that my pump had never been updated so i have the old style rollers and since i just got the belts done i dont want to update.

so where can i find a rebuilt old style pump? i dont care if the new one is better, i dont want to update!
Old 07-26-2002, 03:23 PM
RS 2.7
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bump
Old 07-26-2002, 09:44 PM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think I saw somebody in the latest Excellence advertising the old style. It's at the shop so, can't go look it up at the moment. Struck me as odd that anyone would advertise an old one. HTH

Dave
Old 07-26-2002, 10:54 PM
icat
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by RS 2.7:
<strong> so where can i find a rebuilt old style pump? i dont care if the new one is better, i dont want to update!</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think your missing the point here. You've just found out the hard way why so many of us suggest replacing the water pump when you do the belts - namely, why pay for the labor twice. Now your opting for a rebuilt waterpump (and an old style at that) instead of a new one. I respectfully suggest that you'll be back in a month or two letting us know that the rebuilt pump has failed. Of course it will still be under warranty so they will be happy to give you another one, but you'll have to do the labor again.

It would be foolish to say that new waterpumps never fail or that all rebuilt pumps are crap. But search the archives and I think you'll find that the number of failures on rebuilt pumps is high enough to suggest that the savings isn't worth it.

And as far as I know, the old style pump is no longer available in new. I'd bite the bullet and get the new one. Do it right the first time and you'll save the cost of doing it again.

That's my nickle, the rest is up to you...
Old 07-27-2002, 03:47 AM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Do not get the old style pump just to save a couple of bucks!

The old style pump was upgraded for a reason. It added a metal separator plate which keeps the teeth of the cam belt from clashing into each other (thus destroying the belt and the exhaust valves) as the belt loosens.

Updated pump $150, Bent valves $2,500.

This is where I get to say.....penny wise and pound foolish.

Quick Reply: where can i find an old style waterpump?