Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C doesn't work--trying to diagnose

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 10:28 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm pretty sure that after at least two years of it not being functional, there is no refrigerant left in the system to worry about. Aside from dealing with the refrigerant issue (I personally vote on just disconnecting a line slowly, retighten it if it sounds like there is pressure in the system but if not just pull it off), rebuilding the compressor and installing new o-rings isn't that hard. I've done it all on my system. Works fine and dandy now. You'll need to go to a kragens or similar store to use a special puller tool to get the pulley off the front of the compressor, but in my case that only took 15min or so in the store.

For the record, I'm certified to work on a/c stuff.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:08 AM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by billthe3
I personally vote on just disconnecting a line slowly, retighten it if it sounds like there is pressure in the system
[...]
Old 06-07-2009, 02:56 AM
amac944
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by billthe3
I'm pretty sure that after at least two years of it not being functional, there is no refrigerant left in the system to worry about. Aside from dealing with the refrigerant issue (I personally vote on just disconnecting a line slowly, retighten it if it sounds like there is pressure in the system but if not just pull it off), rebuilding the compressor and installing new o-rings isn't that hard. I've done it all on my system. Works fine and dandy now. You'll need to go to a kragens or similar store to use a special puller tool to get the pulley off the front of the compressor, but in my case that only took 15min or so in the store.

Well, you certainly seem to be the most upbeat about this!

Quick Reply: A/C doesn't work--trying to diagnose