Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Salvage Title?? What does that mean?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2002, 12:28 PM
Sajid
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Salvage Title?? What does that mean?

What exactly is a salvage title and what repercussions are there with insurance, etc if a car comes with a salvage title?
Old 06-19-2002, 12:32 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 71 Likes on 41 Posts
Well really it changes from state to state, and insurance company to insurance company. I hate to be vague about it, but really the best thing to do would be to call your insurance guy and ask him.

Sometime you get normal coverage, and sometimes they won't cover you at all.
Old 06-19-2002, 12:34 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
A salvage title generally means that the vehicle was totalled at some point and the original title voided. The chasis of the vehicle (the reamins) were then rebuilt by someone and the vehicle passed inspection and was given a new, "salvage," title.
One state's definition:
<a href="http://www.state.ma.us/rmv/titles/8define.htm/" target="_blank">salvage title</a>
BE VERY CAREFUL!
Old 06-19-2002, 12:48 PM
slevy951
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I looked at a car with a salvage title a few years back. My ins co (State Farm) wouldn't insure it. Hence, with no insurance, I couldn't get financing. Be careful.....
Old 06-20-2002, 01:30 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
There is more to being totalled (wrecked) but I guess that explains it either way.

Totalled's definition is-an ammount obtained by addition, a sum.......

Complete cars without a scratch on the body work can be salvaged (totalled)

Totalled in car terms means simply that the car's state of condition at one time exceeded it's value due to addition of parts necessary to make repairs.....

by fire damage,
by mechanical damage
theft damage
body damage
flood damage

a)fire-look for undercoating that was improperly repaired, fire will usually bubble or loosen sound deadening material and body seam sealer.
be very wary (only if improperly repaired) if,
the factory vacuum routing sticker is not in place. Severe fires will ruin this decal and it's not available ANYWHERE...

b)mechanical-this one's most common, great buys, you can buy before repair, so,
1.you can deal on the price easily
2.you know what your getting
3.you can make certain it's repaired correctly..

c)theft-easiest to repair and make perfect, and justifies some of the higher priced "salvaged" cars...

d)body damage-If you can't follow the pattern of factory spot welds, (pencil eraser sized impressions), where the chassis panels are welded,..(excluding doors and fenders) it's been repaired extensively, get a body shop to "gauge" the chassis.....

e)flood damage-damage can be a bad description of these cars, and they were titled "salvage" because someones car was "in" a certain flood area where claims were paid. The extent of the damage could have been to the carpet, DME, fluids, all equally simple fixes

Quick Reply: Salvage Title?? What does that mean?