Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why mahle oil filters?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 12:36 AM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post why mahle oil filters?

I just ordered 4 Mahle filters for my 951 today from Tweeks. Why do people recommend these over the Fram/Purolator/generic Pep Boys filters? Do they actually cause a problem?
Old 07-07-2003, 12:44 AM
ahofam123
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since 944 filters are mounted upside down, oil will drain out of it while the car is not running. The Mahle has an anti-drain flap to keep the oil in the filter. Some filters work well with this, others do not. I've heard the Purolators work well if you run out of Mahle and need an oil change. Most people try to stick with Mahle though.
Old 07-07-2003, 12:46 AM
ERAU-944
Race Car

napa has them as well. people swear against them, i've not had a problem. i use mahle cause they're black, and i like to keep my underhood dark. plus they're cheaper.

go with the mahle, they're o.e.

-Michael-
Old 07-07-2003, 12:49 AM
odie
Instructor

any brand filter will be fine as long as it has a check valve to prevent draining. Just look inside and you will see the valve. Most filters are all made by a few companies. Any given manufacture will make an item for several brand name and just label them differently. Most "brands" of any product are really just marketing names.
Old 07-07-2003, 12:50 AM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was thinking about switching to a Mobil 1 filter, but these Mahles are cheaper and people recommend them. So I ordered a small supply of them so I don't have to run around to find the right filter everytime I do an oil change.

Saw one filter for $15 at Car Quest, what a joke.
Old 07-07-2003, 01:54 AM
ZV
Racer

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by ERAU-944:
<strong>napa has them as well. people swear against them, i've not had a problem. i use mahle cause they're black, and i like to keep my underhood dark. plus they're cheaper.

go with the mahle, they're o.e.

-Michael-</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">NAPA filters are manufactured by WIX/DANA and WIX/DANA filters preform extremely well in independant tests. They perform every bit as well as the Mahle filters.

FRAM should be avoided at all costs. FRAM filters have cardboard endcaps and they are prone to exploding. Not only that, but FRAM's anti-drainback valve is cheaply made and severely prone to leaking.

Also, avoid anything that has PTFE (teflon) in it. PTFE is a solid that expands greatly with heat and it has been known to clog small oil passages. PTFE should never be added to an engine.

Aaron
Old 07-07-2003, 02:18 AM
Jonas Goldsmith
Three Wheelin'

Three simple letters... OEM!
Old 07-07-2003, 06:32 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Jonas Goldsmith:
<strong>Three simple letters... OEM!</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Actually, the oil filters sold by the Porsche dealer with the OE part number here in Europe are "Made in U.S.A."

I suspect they are made by Purolator.
Old 07-07-2003, 01:06 PM
ZV
Racer

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Jonas Goldsmith:
<strong>Three simple letters... OEM!</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">OEM is _not_ always good. As I pointed out earlier, FRAM is the OEM for many manufacturers and FRAM's filters are complete junk (FRAM used to be good, but since their takeover by Allied Signal, FRAM has gone severely downhill).

Aaron

Quick Reply: why mahle oil filters?