Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hot start, random no start?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009 | 10:17 PM
thekidd
Instructor

Default Hot start, random no start?

I have been having this problem for a few months now. I have replaced (in order of replament) Starter, alternater, swaped in friends DME relay, speed. ref. sensors, FPR and Damper, AFM and DME. Dont know what I else I need to get rid of this problem. Everytime I instaled something from the speed $ ref. senors till now the car would start (maybee so 20%, maybe not 80%) and run for no longer than 3-4 minuets then shut off. Yesterday, I installed the AFM and DME and started so I let her run for 30 mins. or so, and shut her off. Tried to re-start, and she didnt, but did about 30 mins later. Today, she stared 1st try so I took her around for 15 mins or so, parked, shut her down and tried to re-start her, started 4 times in a row out of 4! Later on I tried again, and she didnt start, no tach bounce either. Later, again, I tried to start her, had some tach bounce, but no more than 200RPMs, didnt start. Tried starting her again, tach bounce some, some, some more, and she finally started about 5 seconds later, and I shut her down. Tried starting her a few more times, and same thing, tach bounce, but firing up a few seconds later. Stareed he again afetr dinner, didnt start first few tries (no tach b) then tach boiunce and she started, so I tok her around the block. Drove for 30 minuets or so, and at a STOP sign, she shut down. I played with the speed sensors, checked fuses, and tried to start. Nothing, nothing, and nothing. So i went home. I dont know where else I can lok to try and fix this car. Any help would be appreciated. Tahnks guys.
Old 05-23-2009 | 11:45 AM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Doesn't sound like there's much else to do other than the crappiest job of all - tracing wires, physically inspecting while checking continuity and jiggling them around. I'd start with your speed/ref sensors and DME harness, as well as the wires leading to the DME relay in the fuse panel.

Not sure how to prioritize any of that other than to take multimeter reading from every place you can get to when things are working and then get it to fail and take the readings again to figure out what is misbehaving.

Not a fun job, but it sounds like you probably have $0.25 worth of wire or a connection causing your issues.

Quick Reply: Hot start, random no start?