Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Compressor Ear Broke..any fix?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2002 | 12:12 PM
Mikey Mason
Racer

Post A/C Compressor Ear Broke..any fix?

Well now as life normally goes having made a decision to sell our 944 I now find the a/c not working and the engine somewhat straining when the a/c is turned on and not cooling.Upon further inspection under the car we find the top ear where the bolt goes to on the compressor is cracked intwo allowing the unit to be somewhat crooked with the belt out of alinement.Has anyone had this happen to them?Can this be somehow repaired or am I in for a new compressor?I just had the system changed to 134 a few months ago and was working fine.Now wondering if the mechanic tightened something a bit too tight.Any suggestions would be a big help!Thanks.

Michael
Old 07-06-2002 | 03:03 PM
Bob S. 1984 Silver
Pro

What probably happened is the mech did not loosen the bolt which the bolt went through. Then, turning the turnbuckle put a lot of stress on the ear and it cracked. I do not think it can be easily repaired while in the car (or out for that matter) since any heat will do damage to the internals of the compressor. FWIW, I would go back to the mech who did the work and see if you can work out some compromise. I am pretty certain he will claim it is not his fault. Remember..before futzing with the turnbuckle, make certain the bolts holding the compressor (or power steering pump on the other side) are loose first.

Good luck

Bob S.
Old 07-06-2002 | 04:18 PM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

My mech broke an ear off my starter and considered it unrepairable I don't think you can do much with that type of metal.
Old 07-06-2002 | 04:26 PM
Mikey Mason
Racer

Thanks guys...I kinda thought it might be a big problem...Just for the heck of it I'm trying some JB weld...I'll let you know how it turns out..but somehow I feel I already know...anyone have a good deal on a compressor?

Michael
Old 07-07-2002 | 12:42 PM
Mikey Mason
Racer

well needless to say the JB weld didn't work..DUH...anyone have a good compressor for sale?.

Michael
Old 07-07-2002 | 01:09 PM
ward cleaver
3rd Gear

Mikey,

Did the front or rear ear break? On my 87 944 the rear broke and being here in dallas it gets really hot. So as a temporary fix until I get a new compressor I took two large hose clamps, an overly long bolt, and nut and did a little "shade tree" work... my grandfather would be proud. This is the order that I put it all together.
bolt (2.5" long 8mm 1.25 pitch to match existing) large washer (to keep clamp from slipping off of the end), a lager nut to act as an spacer, large washer, all this went through bracket to broken ear. Its been working fine for about two weeks, lets just hope that it makes it another couble of week until I can get the new one.

Ward
Old 07-07-2002 | 01:19 PM
Mikey Mason
Racer

That sounds like something that might work....I'll give it a try...thanks!

Michael
Old 07-07-2002 | 01:37 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

They are made from an Aluminum alloy. I would call a local machiene shop and see if they have someone who can weld it. You are better off trying it than just tossing it in the trash. I think if they are quick in welding the ear back on, you may not have damage at all.

Other than that, rebuilt ones go for about $300.
Old 07-07-2002 | 10:04 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

...if you can find someone who'll weld something that has closed chambers containing possible explosive substances. Many won't.
Old 07-07-2002 | 10:29 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

[quote]Originally posted by Peckster:
<strong>...if you can find someone who'll weld something that has closed chambers containing possible explosive substances. Many won't.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Please elaborate?
I didn't know there was anything explosive in an A/C compressor...

Wouldn't that mean you can't mail it then?
Old 07-08-2002 | 12:47 AM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

There have been threads here about using propane, I think, as a refrigerant. Here's one:
AC solution for all ..............MAYBE

I doubt you'd have trouble mailing it, but guys who weld for a living don't like working on things where there's the slightest risk of explosion. That's what I've found, but like I said, maybe he could find someone who'd do it.

I know I haven't been able to find anyone who would weld some motorcycle cases while the engine was assembled.
Old 07-08-2002 | 02:29 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had a shop break one and I had it welded until I could get a rebuilt one. The problem is with R12 substitutes that use a mixture of gases, some of which can burn. As long as it was serviced with just R12 it is safe to weld. I didn't recharge the welded unit because I wasn't sure if the seals were damaged by the heat of the welding.
Old 07-13-2002 | 12:48 PM
Mikey Mason
Racer

Well we vacumed and charged the ac this week after having the rear ear welded (brazed) back on.The shop that did it told me it would not get hot enough inside to do any damage to the compressor.Seems as though they were right..so far.Air is working well now!!They did a splendid job on the repair...and only charged me 20.00.Best 20.00 I have ever spent.I'd certainly recommend this to anyone having the same problem.Sure beats spending the hundreds for a replacement compressor!..Now..up with the For Sale sign!..lol.

Michael
Old 07-13-2002 | 01:18 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Nice fix! So much for my theory about the dangers of welding units like this. I stand corrected.
Old 07-14-2002 | 11:47 AM
Mikey Mason
Racer

Peckster...your theory is probably correct.You just have to understand this wasn't one of the big city high tech welding shops...thank god for some of the good ole Carolina country boys!!!I'm sure some might be a bit skeptical about welding it.

Michael

Quick Reply: A/C Compressor Ear Broke..any fix?