Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 S2 battery negative grounding + starter wiring

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 07:45 AM
JakeS2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 S2 battery negative grounding + starter wiring

Hi all,

could someone tell me the infinite point (preferably with picture) where to connect the negative battery cable (I'm talking about the long lead - short one goes to body near battery). I have a 'S3' project (i.e. 968 engine in S2) and yes I know I can put it anywhere I want but I'd like to keep the original look and feel as much as possible.

Another thing, how many connectors are required for the starter in S2? Is it three (one small & two bigger) or just one small and one large? On the wiring harness I did not find more than one (same lead that goes from fusebox to alternator.

I had a picture taken with engine out of the bay BUT cannot locate those right now - due to re-arrangements at home. So, aynone, please?
Old 05-20-2009, 09:40 AM
jpk
Burning Brakes

Long lead from the battery goes to the top of the bellhousing, near where the speed and refrence sensor bracket would be on an earlier car.
All 944's have three leads to the starter. One large wire connects directly to the battery + (always hot). A second slightly thinner wire leads to the alternator. These both go to the same large post on the starter solenoid that has no other wire connected. There is a seperate lead from the solenoid to the starter motor itself which is alone on the second large terminal of the solenoid.
The third small wire is from the ignition switch to energise the starter. This wire goes to the smallest terminal of the solenoid.
Make sure that there is no contact between any of the the three posts of the starter; there is not much extra clerance and the wire ends tend to twist a bit as you tighten them. At the very least, make sure the transmission is not in gear the first time you re-connect the cables to the battery.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:47 AM
JakeS2
Racer

Thanks, appreciate quick and precise information!

Quick Reply: 944 S2 battery negative grounding + starter wiring