Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SC Project car part 6 - Costs are adding up!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 03:23 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default SC Project car part 6 - Costs are adding up!

You sure can throw money into one of these cars fast! I've got the car running decently well and she just passed emissions. I am hoping to get a tag today so I can start driving her to work. I put a good battery in the car and she starts up no problem with no drains that I know of. Idle is a little rough and the oil pressure at startup seems high (100 PSI or 90) As she warms up the oil pressure goes down.

I didn't have much luck with my last list of parts needed posted on here. Ended up getting a lot of stuff from Albert and buying new parts. Just put in a $150 order with Sunset yesterday. Sucks that it will take 2 weeks to get here as some stuff was in a remote warehouse and they are on the other coast to start with. That makes a total of about $850 in the car! Still could use tires and timing belt change and of course the AC doesn't work.

Here is an updated list of stuff I still need....

Driver's side NA foglight lense(road pitting is ok)
driver's door interior door handle trim in black
black rear carpet in good shape
Fuse box cover that goes on the inside of the car over the wires
Driver and passenger door panels in black with little to no water damage

I put it in a car show in my town on Saturday - when I was trying to pull in the guy manning the gate said "show cars only!" I know she isn't the prettiest 944 out there but that was uncalled for Got to put a for sale sign on her at the show. Only had one bite and I think the female in this guys house put the kabosh on that as I didn't hear from him again.

I just put ad in Autotrader at $2450. We'll see what happens. Still haven't sold the glass sunroof. - Asking $650 for it and that is with a bag and good stock sunroof seal included.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:27 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Good luck.

By the way, the parts warehouse is in Atlanta. I've asked Sunset numerous times if they can just have it dropped shipped to me (ATL - BHM), but they can't, so it goes ATL- NW - BHM
Old 05-19-2009, 03:39 PM
krystar
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whoah 100psi of oil pressure? did u do something to the engine? cause 100 psi is like almost 7bar's
Old 05-19-2009, 03:42 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lemming
By the way, the parts warehouse is in Atlanta. I've asked Sunset numerous times if they can just have it dropped shipped to me (ATL - BHM), but they can't, so it goes ATL- NW - BHM

Hmm - that makes a lot of sense

I'll tell you - reviving this car has been another reminder that there is no money in restoring a 944. I just don't know how someone can neglect the maintenance on a car for so long. So far I've fixed

Seperated rear hatch
broken center sunroof switch housing
rear hatch shocks
hood shocks
odometer gear
missing bolt in driver's side door latch
all sidemarker bulbs out
locked up rear caliper
mis-adjusted parking brake
hood latch handle trim missing
flushed nasty brake and coolant fluid
new wiper blades
new steering wheel stalk controls as cruise stalk was broken
new headlight relay boot
new rear hatch lock seal
unclogged sunroof drains and gas fill drain
replaced torn drain tubing on passenger rear side drain
replaced speed and ref sensors
replaced fuel pump
cleaned out fuel injectors
swapped in another fuel level sender

I know there is more that I can't think of. Also - after review that list I realize that I've actually got over $900 in repairs to the car now
Old 05-19-2009, 03:52 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by krystar
whoah 100psi of oil pressure? did u do something to the engine? cause 100 psi is like almost 7bar's
That is what I've been thinking. I have a mechanical oil pressure gauge on the car. Once she warms up it will read 40 PSI at idle - that seems about right. I wonder at what pressure the OPR valve is supposed to open up? Doesn't is usually fail in such a fashion that you have abnormally low oil pressure?
Old 05-19-2009, 04:15 PM
tod84944
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why didn't you let me know you needed some door panels!!!
Old 05-19-2009, 04:18 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tod84944
Why didn't you let me know you needed some door panels!!!

Crumb - your right - forgot about contacting you about this stuff. Do you have any late black door panels? What about a front driver's foglight? Got any red rear aluminum bumpers lying around?

Quick Reply: SC Project car part 6 - Costs are adding up!