Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car won't start, suspect starter / solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2002, 05:06 PM
mouse
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Car won't start, suspect starter / solenoid

So after weeks of fixing up my car and driving it only once (and it drove like a dream), I went to start the car the other day, and it started fine-- for about 2 seconds. Right as I was about to put it into gear, the thing died, and ever since whenever I try to start the car the engine doesn't turn and all you can hear is the starter going "ehhhhhhhhhhhhh". It sounds kind of like a drill. I've heard that the solenoid can get locked up and if you bang on it with a hammer you can free it up, so I got under the car and tried that but was afraid to hit it too hard. Some of my friends that claim to know a decent ammount about cars say its the starter-- I have tried jumping the battery, and i've also played with the clutch while starting to see if that might help. Any ideas? How much do rebuilt starters go for, and also would a starter from a turbo work in my car? Thanks for your help
Old 07-05-2002, 08:02 PM
jim968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If the 944 starter is similar to the 968 starter:

If the starter motor is spinning, but not cranking the engine, pull the starter (disconnect battery first!), and clean & lube the drive gear area... crud from the clutch tends to build up in there and keep the gear from moving forward to engage the ring gear. Also lube the starter motor bushings, and the end bushing in the bellhousing

I'll let someone else recommend the proper cleaning & lube materials; I did it at my wrench's shop, and he kindly supplied the fancy Wurth stuff for both.

Jim, "A squadron of parts flying loose formation on an oil leak...."
Old 07-06-2002, 06:21 PM
mouse
Burning Brakes

Thanks, anyone else have any info that might help?
Old 07-07-2002, 12:57 AM
icat
Race Car

[quote]Originally posted by mouse [CTY]:
<strong>Thanks, anyone else have any info that might help?</strong><hr></blockquote>

What do you want, a top ten list or something? Jim knows his stuff. Try doing what he suggests. If it still doesn't work - buy a new starter.
Old 07-07-2002, 05:19 AM
mouse
Burning Brakes

Yeah...I was referring to jim's "leave it to someone else to suggest lube" statement.
Old 07-07-2002, 12:09 PM
ast2000
Instructor

Check with an auto parts store. Be sure it is rather thick as the shaft spins and will throw off a thinner lube. I would probably use wheel bearing grease.

Email me if you need some help. I can get away most weekends and would be happy to lend a hand.
Old 07-07-2002, 03:53 PM
mouse
Burning Brakes

Great, thanks! It's good to see a fellow porsche denverite on the rennlist.
Old 07-07-2002, 05:03 PM
billybones
Burning Brakes

Climb on I-25 take a number and hope you survive the mouse trap. and hope the gov. ain't moving any toxic chemicals I dissagree with the heavy grease.. that will only hold all the dirt and grime..Plus the starter does not spin all that fast and not for very long. I would clean out as much as you can. and use a good lite oil laced with some graffite. Watch out for those trucks...
Old 07-08-2002, 05:18 AM
Hans
Burning Brakes

Second Jim's advise.

I used Molycote (high temp graphite grease) in the past for this, my VW garage still does.
Dont use bearing grease, is too thick and will harden out too fast so you can redo again in a couple of months.
Dont apply too much grease, a thin film is all you need.
The surplus, thanks to Murphy, will find its way to the clutch disk.

When bench testing: clamp the motor in a vise, gears down (VERTICALLY).
Apply power INTERMITTANT, use big fat jump-start cables for direct power supply from a fresh battery and dont let it run for longer than a few seconds.
(If you have an old starter to waste for scrap: try and let it run for some minutes, the rev inclination never stops and you will find out why...)
WARNING: Be carefull, get out of the way while doing this, and be prepaired for some shop cleaning afterwards
TakeCare

EDIT
You may want to check the wire lugs / comnnectors for corrosion and clean them as required.
May save you a next turn under there in the near future...
And uhh, be sure to get the wires routed & lugs fastened the right way.
TakeCare

Quick Reply: Car won't start, suspect starter / solenoid