Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thermostat Removal Tips and Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 06:05 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by stolarzj
I managed to source all the parts, put it back together and fired it up. It will go to the top mark on the temp gauge and stem will be pouring out of the vent, but the upper and lower hoses are not getting hot, doesn't even feel like there is coolant in the top one.

The car is my friends, he bought it a couple weeks ago for his wife. I've been working on the wornout suspension for him.
Is the water pump even turning? The cam belt could be so loose that it isn't. Or else you have a trashed pump (maybe it ate something else that was in there), or clogged coolant passages.

Also, make sure you bleed the system after you've closed it up. If you haven't done that, it might be your problem.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:15 PM
stolarzj
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Made some more progress, been bleeding for about 45 minutes now and it's getting better. I really hate bleeding the cooling systems on 944's. It runs up towards the top white mark sitting at idle, but driving it with the revs up it was where it should be. There is probably still air in it, as the heat in the cabin was only luke warm. I shut it off for now so I can pull the rad cap to check the fluid level. The hoses and rad are at least hot now. I also put a IR thermometer on the neck with the bleed screw and was showing about 190 there.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:35 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Assuming you vented the air out after refilling, it sounds like you have a defective pump. There were some several years ago where the impeller would break free of the shaft. Make sure the timing belt is tensioned too though.

Originally Posted by stolarzj
I managed to source all the parts, put it back together and fired it up. It will go to the top mark on the temp gauge and stem will be pouring out of the vent, but the upper and lower hoses are not getting hot, doesn't even feel like there is coolant in the top one.

The car is my friends, he bought it a couple weeks ago for his wife. I've been working on the wornout suspension for him.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:37 PM
stolarzj
Burning Brakes

I still have some air bubbles coming up at idle, but it does act like the pump is bad they way it acts at idle.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:57 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Dude, SCREW porsche dealers. I'd rather have a gas station do my timing belt than a porsche dealer. You believe the receipts you have??? HAH! I have receipts from the PO from a porsche dealer that show the water pump was done 3 years ago. They also did a "complete" belt job. Well 2 weeks ago the water pump seized.

How can a genuine porsche new water pump seize after only 3 years, you ask?

It was a rebuilt pump, not genuine new. Also it was a 2.5 pump... on a 3.0L 968. Oh, and all the rollers were TOAST. Any competant mechanic would have at least put in new rollers. For trusting the receipts and not checking the parts myself, it almost cost me an engine.

Don't trust any work done at the dealer on a 944 - the techs there just don't know 944s any more and they'll treat it like the left-over crap car they think it is. Take it to an independent, who will likely be a master of the 944. And you'll support small business owners.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:21 PM
stolarzj
Burning Brakes

I normally do everything myself, but there are a few things I haven't wanted to venture into like the t-belt. I always go to independant's though, the only thing I trust my local dealer for is an alignment. The previous owner of this car had all it's work done at the dealer, the dealer in that area is the only shop unfortunately that could attempt to work on a Porsche within a 100 miles.
Old 05-16-2009, 04:04 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

stol, t-belt jobs are very easy. Folow the instructions on Clark's garage and take your time. It is not nearly as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I was very scared to do this, but once I got started it all fell in place.

Quick Reply: Thermostat Removal Tips and Question