Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crest gasket issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 04:18 PM
WizPorsche944
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Crest gasket issue

I installed a new hood crest the other day the gaket keeps moving on me. The crest is down tight but the gasket slides around. Did I do something wrong ?
Old 05-14-2009, 04:28 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WizPorsche944
I installed a new hood crest the other day the gaket keeps moving on me. The crest is down tight but the gasket slides around. Did I do something wrong ?
You pushed in the middle of the crest... It is much easier to do with the header panel off the car, but... when installing the crest try to push on the face of the crest where the pins are AND support the inside of the header panel...You can get in there on an N/A, but a turbo needs to have the panel removed to do it right... I put new crests on both my cars, first one (N/A) on teh car, second one Off the car...

NOW your problem is you have spread the pins apart by pushing on the middle of the face of the crest, the pins need to be "reset" back closer together... If on an N/A you can get to them from the engine bay without removing anything, just need a long screwdriver and a flash light, on a turbo, pull of the header panel...

YES it can be fixed, but you have to think outside the box on this one... I did the same thing to the new one I installed to my N/A... when I did the turbo got it right the first time... I don't know why it doesn't come with instructions or at least a read ahead message from the sellers of them... ONLY push on far enough to secure the gasket, push all the way and you bend the crest and end up with how it looks now... Back up a step or two, try again...
Old 05-14-2009, 07:21 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

My trick to install the emblem gasket is to put strips of blue tape on the back side, so I can tug the gasket edges out. Once the emblem is seated and done, I gently yank and the tape comes out.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:33 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I used a little krazy glue on mine and it's nicely lined up all around. It's also a good idea to spread the pins apart just a tad before inserting, so the emblem grabs onto the panel better.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:45 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Interesting. Mine is attached by sheet metal nuts on the back side of the emblem.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:54 AM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1...I bought a new gasket from Paragon, and it seems too small and won't stay positioned.

Soak it in hot water maybe?
Old 05-15-2009, 02:35 PM
Erzengal
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to put the Gasket on the Crest First, once it is seated, you put it all on the car as once.
Tape and Glue are not required.

Quick Reply: Crest gasket issue