Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Next Project: Replacing / Repairing Dash

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 03:12 AM
danny951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Next Project: Replacing / Repairing Dash

And for my next trick....

No, seriously. I have just had the car completely repainted with a fairly high end paint job. Wheels refinished, car is running very good. It's time to focus on what had started out as an 8 out of 10 interior. The only problem when I bought this car 3 -4 years ago was the cracked dashboard. Now, however, the seats are starting to show signs of wear and I'll have to do those eventually too, but my first priority will be replacing or repairing my dash.

What is the latest best method here? I've considered buying a used dash from a late wrecked 968. At the time the costs were around $500. I know the 928 leather guy does great work, but I'd have to buy a core to send him or buy one that he's already done and send him mine in exchange. I think I'd be looking at around $700-800 for that option. I am not considering dash caps as an option because I have the airbag and don't like the look of those. Any self repair methods worth looking into?
Old 05-07-2009, 04:47 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by danny951

No, seriously. I have just had the car completely repainted with a fairly high end paint job. Wheels refinished, car is running very good. It's time to focus on what had started out as an 8 out of 10 interior. The only problem when I bought this car 3 -4 years ago was the cracked dashboard. Now, however, the seats are starting to show signs of wear and I'll have to do those eventually too, but my first priority will be replacing or repairing my dash.

What is the latest best method here? I've considered buying a used dash from a late wrecked 968. At the time the costs were around $500. I know the 928 leather guy does great work, but I'd have to buy a core to send him or buy one that he's already done and send him mine in exchange. I think I'd be looking at around $700-800 for that option. I am not considering dash caps as an option because I have the airbag and don't like the look of those. Any self repair methods worth looking into?
Danny do yourself a favor and wait buy a dash and send it to Rob. Or just pay the core charge and be done with it. You'll never regret it. I'm in the process of completely redoing my interior as well. Its something that I've been meaning to do(like you) for a long time.

btw hows things? Cars looks great.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:50 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

You can always send your dash to him ahead of time too - if you can do without the car while it's being done. Rob now has DIY leather dash kits, BUT it's considerable work. Not something I'd want to risk doing myself. IMO, either sending him your dash or using one of his cores (then sending in your old dash) is your best bet.

He did both the upper and lower sections of my dash. I'm in-process of changing over to black/linen:

Old 05-07-2009, 10:27 PM
rop3
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 6 Posts

IMO when it comes to leather none looks quite as good as original look at the 944 airbag dash looks puffy. Had most of my interior done by 928 leather not to good rear seats console rear q panels lots of extra loose material door panels lumpy and bumpy from foam underneath. Just my experience.

Originally Posted by danny951

Old 05-07-2009, 10:42 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rop3
IMO when it comes to leather none looks quite as good as original look at the 944 airbag dash looks puffy. Had most of my interior done by 928 leather not to good rear seats console rear q panels lots of extra loose material door panels lumpy and bumpy from foam underneath. Just my experience.
My carpet kit I wasn't too impressed with. It seems to be hit or miss. However I've seen alot of his work and it can be quite good. Paul Champagne is another avenue. The only work I've ever seen from him is steller.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:16 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Paul's work is incredible. But so are his prices. I want to send him my seats, but to get everything I want done is cost prohibitive (for me, anyway).

rop3 - can you post pictures of your interior? I'd like to see the issues. Overall I'm very pleased with Rob's work. My only real issue is getting the glovebox door to line up with the thicker leather covering on it.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:36 PM
Swagger93
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.justdashes.com/Index.htm

It says not past 86 on the site, but I called them once and they said they'd do it for like seven hundo.

Last edited by Swagger93; 05-08-2009 at 09:37 PM. Reason: because i made a f*ckin mistake

Quick Reply: Next Project: Replacing / Repairing Dash