Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One more time...

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2003 | 11:47 PM
Dave
Race Car

Post One more time...

Yeah, my 944 might as well be a cat because life #3 (or maybe #4) is just around the corner.

After all the painful details in my last couple threads on the subject, here's the latest. I got home from work today so pissed off that my wife asked why my face was red. I had discussed some of my options with John Anderson the over the past few days and had decided to go with one of his shortblocks. The only problem was my mechanic, I figured that the $ he had given me to r&r a long block would go up a bit if I went with a short block instead, but he upped it ALOT, as in way too much. I told him to put it back together so I could take it home to part out but on my way home stopped at another local shop that is highly recommended. They didn't want the job, (gotta love a place that has so much work that they can turn it away in the current economy, but at least they didn't string me along) but recommended another place. UNCLE!
I called John to thank him for the help he had given me and give him the bad news. To make a long story short, I'm now looking forward to having one of his motors in my car.
Now I still have to work out a few details involving the install (and still needing a new mechanic) but I think my sleeping schedule will be returning to normal soon. THANKS JOHN!
Old 02-06-2003 | 11:56 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

I would say call my mechanic, but when I called on Monday, the people at the shop said he was missing in action--hadn't heard from him in over a week?

So, what will that motor set you back Dave?? Glad you will be able to keep your car?
Old 02-07-2003 | 12:12 AM
Dave
Race Car

A missing mechanic isn't any better than what I have now, especially if the shop is 25 miles in the wrong direction. The one I stopped at is Damian's guy, like I said I'm disappointed but appreciate his honesty. I think you tried the place in Chatham that he suggested.

Price? I'm trying not to think about that too much! Let's just say "very reasonable", especially considering the original numbers for a local rebuild from a no-name shop.
Old 02-07-2003 | 11:24 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Dave:
Try Powertech in Rockaway, Autohaus in Chatham, or Europerf in Garfield. (Or any of the other NNJR PCA approved shops in our area).

You may pay a little more than your 'wonderful' mechanic, but you'll get the job done.

Good luck!
-Z.
Old 02-07-2003 | 11:56 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Powertech does all of the maintenance on my vehicle and they seem very knowledgable. I believe one of the owners/managers drives a 951.
Old 02-07-2003 | 12:28 PM
schlag
Burning Brakes

Hey dave did you choose the stock block or a 2.8L?
Come on tell us about the details of the R&R
Old 02-07-2003 | 02:15 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah, details Dave! Is it an original Porsche engine, rebuilt back to spec, or what?

Also, who do they ship it to once it's done?
Old 02-07-2003 | 02:19 PM
Dave
Race Car

Thanks for the shop info, I may give Autohaus a shot one day but the others are a bit of a haul from me. As much as I rag on the guys I now deal with, I can't complain about their work. I have two problems with them, communication and some of the pricing. There are 2 partners, one is an excellent wrench(he seems to do most of the work on my car) and the other is the one I talk to most of the time (I think he's more the "business" end of the place). I'm starting to believe that most of the communication between them takes place on little yellow "sticky notes" and by the time it gets to me it's really one of them guessing what the other meant by a couple of part numbers or something. On pricing, some jobs they give me a good price on and others seem way out of line.
I'm sticking with them for the rest of this one because I know they will get it done and do it well and also because it is there and apart. It is not worth paying them to put it back together and take it elsewhere or to have it towed and have to pay them for taking it apart+towing+someone else finishing it.
I'll let them finish what they started and if my butt hurts when they're done, it'll be the last they see of me and my car.
Schlag, the short block will be stock.

Quick Reply: One more time...