Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you tell what is strange in this photo?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 09:43 PM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I wish we had a "member's build" section in this forum where we could post pictures of our progress. The worse starting condition, the better, IMO. I love seeing a car being saved from being parted/crushed and becoming someone's passion. Your car is pretty bad - and I mean that in the best way possible!

Those seats are interesting. Why didn't you just leave the Nissan seats in? Are you too tall for them? That red dash bezel is hideous (as is the wood wheel)!

Have you, by chance, done a headliner in a 944? I need to install one in my car, but I've never done one before. I'm still debating on the material and if I should get a pre-made one from some place like World Upholstery or make my own.

If you have a web page with pictures, please post a link!
Old 05-07-2009, 10:27 PM
Po924S
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea I'm curious as to how that Nissan seat looked in the car... Pictures!
Old 05-07-2009, 11:44 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Nissan seats were INSANELY HEAVY. I'm a pretty fit 230lb guy and it was hard for me to get the drivers seat down to the trash can.

The drivers seat had 8-9 switches on it and sat too tall for me to sit in the car, period.

They did not look aweful, but were not comfortable and obviously trashed.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:48 PM
Cole
Drifting

Towing it home.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:13 AM
RedRose
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweeeeet tow vehicle. I'll trade you my '44 for it! (kidding of course, but that thing looks beastly)
Old 05-08-2009, 12:35 AM
loxner

Sharp looking jeep! Friend of mine has one almost identical to it
Old 05-08-2009, 12:40 AM
Cole
Drifting

Thanks. The JK is my latest Jeep build. I have built several of them in the past for magazine rigs. I'm a bit of an automotive journalist of sorts as a hobby and build cars. Here are a couple of the recent ones.

Here is my real tow rig, still in the build process. We built it as a dedicated trail clean up truck to take care of our trails. Still lots of work to do to it. It's a 74 Crew Cab that has been shortened 24" to fit a short bed since they never came as a short bed. LS6 powered currently. Nordskog gauges, painless wiring, dual winches, 4 wheel disc, fully sound deadend, etc etc

Here is the previous Jeep build. It was a magazine rig for 8 years, so there are lots of shots of it.

The Audi S4 build.

That's Guinness gaurding the house.

Triumph Speed Triple build. It's gold and british racing green.

My "commuter"

There are a bunch more, but I will quit here for the moment. Needless to say, the 951 will probably see some love in its future.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:44 AM
Cole
Drifting

Thanks.

I suppose I should at least toss up some pics of the current Jeep build.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:56 AM
Po924S
Three Wheelin'

Ew. Those seats were ugly in the car anyway, lol. Nice Jeep! My Dad has a yellow 2004 Rubicon. But he never drives it! lol.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:33 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

You've got lots of toys/projects thats for sure. Can you please post up pictures of your swede headliner? I'm in need or a new one and I'm looking for microswede or alcantara. I'm hoping to find a company that has one pre made to fit but, im curious as to how hard they are to swap out.

btw great build. This should be a good thread.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:50 AM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Location: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!

How far did you tow it that way you know you can mess up the transaxle that way.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:07 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Very nice toys - thanks for the pictures!

Yeah, those seats were hideous. I thought they were in much better shape than that and more "sporty".
Old 05-08-2009, 10:48 AM
Cole
Drifting

Originally Posted by INURGRL951
How far did you tow it that way you know you can mess up the transaxle that way.

What exactly do you think you can mess up?

I have done a LOT of wrenching in my life and flat towing vehicles. Just to be sure I discussed using a tow dolly with 2 Porsched techs. Everyone agreed that it would be fine on the tow dolly.

There is nothing different going on in the transaxle when being towed than there is rolling down the road.

I don't have any great pictures of the headliner. If I get a chance to pull the truck out of the garage this weekend I will try to get some better shots. The interior of the truck is not done, so you will have to use your imagination a little, but here are a few shots when we put the headliner in it to give you an idea.

(You gotta love the sweet 80s seats in this truck)

http://a997.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...e2fd9cd914.jpg
Old 05-24-2009, 07:24 PM
Cole
Drifting

Figured I would just update this thread.

Got the engine 95% back together. Polished the head, installed new exhaust valve and replaced 5 lifters. One was totally broken(corrisponding to the one bent valve).

Just need to finish tensioning a new timing belt (the timing marks were off too). Replace all the other belts and fire it up to see if it actually runs.

Installed a rear view mirror since the car did not have one. I had a spare laying around from another project.

Took off the center of the ugly steering wheel and it actually looks better, not what I ultimately want, but better. Also installed a black dash piece instead of the red, which looks TONS better. New drivers side sun visor. Now if only the rest of the interior was restored already.

Have the control arms off the car ready for solid bushings. Then I smashed my thumb and quit for the day.

Before:

Not even going to call this "after". This is just "currently". LOTS of work still to be done.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:58 PM
Calmchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As for the towing thing that only applies to auto transmissions. I think the owners manual says autos can be towed like that, but you have to stay under 35mph-ish. IIRC.

Anyway... you have a lot of cool things! lol.

Quick Reply: Can you tell what is strange in this photo?