Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 Removable Top

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2002 | 12:15 AM
user 8430
Banned

Sorry ERAU944! Does anyone know the "official" definition of "Targa"
Old 06-18-2002 | 10:29 AM
AutoXdriver
Instructor

[quote] Autoxdriver, I'm surprised you have problems with height in the 944; I'm 6'3" as well, and get along fine... Most of my height is in my legs though, I guess.
Micah
<hr></blockquote>

I'm used to hearing this. I think most of my height must be in my torso. Also I really do like to sit straight up in a performance car, and this problem has excluded me from countless cars I would otherwise love to own, just not enought headroom. Most people like to lean back slightly, but it feels awkward to me! You short people don't know how good you've got it! ;-)

Alan
Old 06-18-2002 | 02:25 PM
Michael Stephenson
Addict
Rennlist Member

AutoXdriver,

I am 6’-4” and I have to very slightly recline the seat, much more so when I wear a helmet. Whenever I do an Auto-X, I go topless and I set the seat in the “full, upright position” – but that is not an option for a DE event.

I sit in a slightly compromised position while doing a DE, but it has not been a problem since the steering inputs are not a quick as at an Auto-X. It does make reaching the wheel a bit more tiresome, though.

However, the mark on the sunroof made by helmet is in the recessed area of the sunroof – it is not the hinges or the thickened edge that gets in the way. That being said, I am not real sure that a sunroofless car would be much better. (I have never seen a 944 without a sunroof)

I am keeping a look-out for a very cheap sunroof for use at DE events that I can remove all of the upholstery – this may be the best way to gain head clearance.
Old 06-18-2002 | 02:46 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Michael,

I have the sun roof from my old 951 (the one that burnt) and I am going to bring it D.E. Events, so if we wind up at the same one I'll be more than happy to share it (or if you wanted to buy it, that would work too)....
Old 06-18-2002 | 05:57 PM
AutoXdriver
Instructor

[quote] I am 6’-4” and I have to very slightly recline the seat, much more so when I wear a helmet. Whenever I do an Auto-X, I go topless and I set the seat in the “full, upright position” – but that is not an option for a DE event.
<hr></blockquote>

Michael,

The scary thing about this is can you imagine if you (or me) rolled one of these things at a DE without a cage? With us sandwiched tightly in there (especially if you're in a racing harness) with no room between your head and the the compressing roof (and it will compress inward with the weight of the car on it - at least most cars do). The windshield typically breaks and you lose a few inches of headroom forward diminishing toward the rear. I don't even want to think about it...

Alan
Old 06-18-2002 | 06:06 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

[quote]Originally posted by AutoXdriver:
<strong>

Michael,

The scary thing about this is can you imagine if you (or me) rolled one of these things at a DE without a cage? With us sandwiched tightly in there (especially if you're in a racing harness) with no room between your head and the the compressing roof (and it will compress inward with the weight of the car on it - at least most cars do). The windshield typically breaks and you lose a few inches of headroom forward diminishing toward the rear. I don't even want to think about it...

Alan</strong><hr></blockquote>

This is why I am going to get a roll cage instead of the roll bar that I have right now when I can afford it.

Quick Reply: 944 Removable Top