Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

aftermarket temp gauge

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2002 | 08:25 PM
sean.
Advanced

Post aftermarket temp gauge

My stock water temp gauge has gone ****-up. And I'm installing a new VDO gauge.

Wondering if I can use the stock sender for the aftermarket gauge. Got a new stock sender, seems like it would work, but most aftermarket electric water temp gauges come with a sender...do I have to use the one that comes with the new gauge?

If I have to use a new temp sender where would be the best place to put it?

Anybody with experience with aftermarket temp gauges, your help would be greatly appreciated.

-sean 86' 951
Old 06-17-2002 | 09:22 PM
bs
Pro

chances are good that the response curve (resistance vs. temperature) of the stock sensor will not be the same as what your aftermarket gauge is expecting. however, sine the 944 uses seperate sensors for the gauge and the dme (ecu), it is possible to replace just the one for the gauge without messing anything else up. in fact, i've been toying with doing this for awhile just so i can have a calibrated temperature reading instead of just "a little below the second white bar" kind of readings.

if you are lucky, the new sensor (sender, transducer, whatever) will screw in where the old one came out. i don't know if porsche used standard size threads here or not.

I once installed a temperature gauge in a car by machining the ends of a cylindrical piece of aluminum to the diameter of the ID of the line to the heater core, then tapping the middle of it and threading in the sensor. then just cut the heater hose and clamp the two ends onto your 'adapter'. note that you have to ground that metal piece you just made so tap another shallow hole for a screw and run a lead to the chassis from there. make sure you start with a thick enough chunk of stock for you sensor to thread into! i had to make this guy twice because i didn't think of that the first time.... this isn't that complicated, and the tolerances are loose, you could probably get a machine shop to make this for you for a few bucks.

Quick Reply: aftermarket temp gauge