Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking out loud: feedback requested

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009 | 10:32 AM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Question Thinking out loud: feedback requested

I've mentioned it in other posts but I have decided that I'm going to do the majority of my HPDEs in the Miata since that car is less expensive and more disposable. That said, I'll still want to occasionally run the 944 (probably once every year or two). The R-compounds I have for the 944 are getting a little long in the tooth and probably won't be all that effective for anything more than saving my street tires but I'm thinking it would be a waste to buy more R-compounds (even used ones) for something that only happens every year or two.

An option I'm considering is getting a set of those tires that are considered quasi-track tires (Falken Azenis, for example) that I can drive on the street but won't be too useless for the occasional track days. Up until recently I had a used set of Azenis as my track tires for the Miata and they worked well enough for what I'm looking to do.

My concern is that I'm running 16" Boxster wheels (that I really like) so I've got 225s in the back and 205s up front, which seems like a good recipie for understeer. My suspension is pretty much stock except for the M030 968 front bar and Weltmeister rear bar. I could tighten up the rear bar all the way and play with the alignments (I only drive the car about 5k per year so I'm not too worried about tire wear), but I'm still not sure what that would do to the balance.

I could just run 225/50-15s all around on the phone dials I have my R-compounds on right now but I don't really like those wheels so ideally I'd rather avoid that if reasonably possible.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

BB.
Old 05-03-2009 | 03:58 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

What I find is 15 inch wheels help the acceleration enough on the track to warrant the hassle to remove 16" street wheels/tires for the track events. Also, even old R compound tires (unless they are really old and dry rotted) work better than new street tires from what I have experienced. I would just get street tires for the 16 (better gas mileage being a bigger tire) and keep using the 15 inch and burn off the rubber that is on it already.
Old 05-03-2009 | 07:51 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I definately like the advantages of running the 15's on the track. The tires aren't dry rotted or anything so that's not an issue... I'm just not sure how they'll compare with fresh tires. Of course, again, for once or twice a year, so long as it's not a safety issue it's probably not important.

BB.

Quick Reply: Thinking out loud: feedback requested