Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

racing (fixed back) seats - for biger people

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 09:42 AM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default racing (fixed back) seats - for biger people

wondering what you guys have and maybe a picture of the "fit"?

I'm 6'0 and around 250lbs

probably a good choice would be Sparco Evo 2, but its a little $$$, what are my other options? how do I determine without actually sitting in one if its something "close" to fit me?

and it needs to be FIA (good for PCA etc.), 6 point harness

I'm getting closer to getting the floors patched up so I'd like to see what my options are

I'll take a look at some local shops and see if any have any seats that I could actually sit in, but I doubt they would have something in size for me

thanks
Old 04-28-2009, 09:49 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Roman - I am 6'6" and 255#. I use these seats. EVO 2 Plus. They are perfect. Plenty of room and the seat backs are the perfect height for harnesses.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:42 AM
roman944
Drifting

I thought of you, but those Sparco's are so $$$

I always liked (atleast the look) of Corbeau seat, and there is an FX1 for sale locally for $250 - and atleast according to Corbeau its good for up to 40" waist, but its not FIA and atleast from the search - PCA doesn't like them

the thing with me is though, that I had waist size 40 when I was 200lbs, and I'm still waist size 40 @ 250lbs - no doubt I am going to "loose some weight" a little bit again - but the seat needs to be "large enough" regardless

and actually, you have a PM
Old 04-28-2009, 11:00 AM
nkgosselin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

OMP has the perfect seat for you on sale now. Marked down to $500 from $1500 each.

https://www.shopatron.com/product/pa...54.27757.0.0.0

You can always die the leather if you don't dig tan. But they are beautiful.
Attached Images  
Old 04-28-2009, 11:24 AM
jsaindc
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 12 Posts

I am in the same situation as you. I am 6'2" and have a 38 inch waist. I have bee looking at the EVO L but same thing price is $$$. As an alternative I have been looking at the Sparco Sprint 5 ($319) and Sparco TEC ($427). The are the same seat but the TEC is fiberglass and the Sprint 5 is steel. I fit pretty good and they are very comfortable. The only thing is they do not have the look of the EVOs.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:34 AM
roman944
Drifting

Originally Posted by jsaindc
I am in the same situation as you. I am 6'2" and have a 38 inch waist. I have bee looking at the EVO L but same thing price is $$$. As an alternative I have been looking at the Sparco Sprint 5 ($319) and Sparco TEC ($427). The are the same seat but the TEC is fiberglass and the Sprint 5 is steel. I fit pretty good and they are very comfortable. The only thing is they do not have the look of the EVOs.
did you try to look up the sizing chart?

I was looking at them on SubeSports

I tried to get the dimensions off some wide seats like Sparco's or Momo Supercup XL and go by that

searching online showed the size to be between 15-17"

and for some seats like Kirkeys, they only go up to like 18 which is for superbig people

and atleast for one of the Corbeau seats, in wide version, are SUPRE wide

however overall seat needs to fit perfect

but I was looking at the same seat as you; I've read in a few places that people with 38 fit into Cobra Monaco and that Sparco Sprint (Cobra is FIA and slightly cheaper I think)
Old 04-28-2009, 11:37 AM
cparkin
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Recaro Profi XL... almost bought a set.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:51 AM
roman944
Drifting

here's an example:

http://www.subesports.com/products/?option=seats

the Imola GT has the widest C and D areas, the Monaco seat is just 1/2" smaller - on the chart atleast - but its also 1/2" bigger then a regular Imola seat

so I'm trying to find these #'s and compare them to the #'s on charts for other manufacturers, and thus looking for a seat that's not going to be seriously huge

now, for the OMP seats:

http://www.subesports.com/data/omp_seat_chart.pdf

if you look at the F area for the Big seat - posted above - its 435mm which converts to 17", the next one after that is the TRS seat with 400mm that converts to 15.7" F area

can't really compare the Monaco to TRS because actual spots where measurements were taken could be slightly different, but it gives an idea of what kind/how wide of a seat to look for, no?

Now Sparco Evo 2 here http://www.subesports.com/data/sparco_seat_dim.pdf has a Z area of almost 15", which is smaller then the Monaco one (however, again, maybe different spots of measuring?)

also, for comparison - no chart - the Momo SuperCup XL has the "butt" area of 17" as well, but again - different measuring spots (possibly)

so I'm assuming from all this that the seat I will need is going to have to have "butt" area of 15-16"? from what I've read on Google search and stuff, Sparco Evo 2 and the OMP Big seat and Corbeau Wide versions are really big seats, I wish I could sit in one local to know for sure if its big(er) then I need or not

I wonder what the refund policy on the seats is?

I was thinking I could probably try to "sit" in that Corbeau FX1 seat and then get the measurements for it and then see what other seats are the same size, or slightly bigger, then it?

also, I know this probably won't matter because these were stock seats, but they fit me fine and I found them to be comfortable; but because these are "race" seats it will probably be different

Last edited by roman944; 04-28-2009 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:55 AM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an Evo 2 and I'm only 6'0", 165. There is no way I could fit in that seat with an extra 75lbs on my frame. Also if you are that tall, carefully consider the mounting as height can be an issue. I have sliders currently and very little head clearance to the roof. You definitely want to mount as low as possible.

Do not take shortcuts on the seat. It may cost a little more, but you only need one and it literally covers your *** in an accident.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:11 PM
roman944
Drifting

Originally Posted by schwank
I have an Evo 2 and I'm only 6'0", 165. There is no way I could fit in that seat with an extra 75lbs on my frame. Also if you are that tall, carefully consider the mounting as height can be an issue. I have sliders currently and very little head clearance to the roof. You definitely want to mount as low as possible.

Do not take shortcuts on the seat. It may cost a little more, but you only need one and it literally covers your *** in an accident.
oh yes, plus I don't want to "runaround" with refunds and shipping seats back (out of pocket shipping costs) etc. and I know seats are probably the most important thing - so I definetly don't want to "overlook" this area

its just that a set of Sparco Evo 2's with mounting and everytihng is going to be way north of $1500 (which compared to some stuff out there is really not expensive), but its still pricey

and then, if not this, what are my other options? I've read of "large" drivers fitting into the Ultrashield and Kirkeys (16" in size +) and the 18" seats being REALLY big - but neither seat is FIA - and I'm not sure how to go about that, or how safe Ultrashield and Kirkey seats are

I read something about mounting the seat to the "cage", but I don't exactly have a cage - just a rollbar - same thing applies here? because compared to even some of these, a pair of Kirkeys or Ultrashields are going to be a lot cheaper, but safer or just as safe?

then I see Racetech advertising their seats like "you wouldn't wear aluminum helmet, so why should you buy aluminum seat" - which has me wondering on the safety thing a little

btw, I won't be driving this on the street, probably less then 30mnts/day if I absolutely have no other choice
Old 04-28-2009, 12:24 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see a lot of Kirkey and Racetech stuff around the paddock. However if you don't have a cage that will indeed affect the mounting of a non-FIA seat.

Also FWIW, you do not have to buy two top end seats... the passenger can always be something lesser, as long as it has an equivalent harness setup for instructors. In fact I think you could maybe get a reclining seat for that side if it is just street and DE. It's only if you are worried about appearances... I ran two different model and different color sparcos for a while before reverting to just one seat for racing.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:26 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

I have a Sparco steel race seat (not as sexy as fiberglass) that is pretty generously proportioned as my passenger seat. If you come down to the Glen on the 13th or 14th you can sit in it and try it out.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:28 PM
roman944
Drifting

Originally Posted by schwank
I see a lot of Kirkey and Racetech stuff around the paddock. However if you don't have a cage that will indeed affect the mounting of a non-FIA seat.

Also FWIW, you do not have to buy two top end seats... the passenger can always be something lesser, as long as it has an equivalent harness setup for instructors. In fact I think you could maybe get a reclining seat for that side if it is just street and DE. It's only if you are worried about appearances... I ran two different model and different color sparcos for a while before reverting to just one seat for racing.
I thought of that, what are the chances that a passenger is going to need a huge seat like mine? probably pretty small

but I still have to figure out the seat for myself
Old 04-28-2009, 12:28 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IMO, don't even bother with Corbeau. They are not certified and are REALLY cheaply made. Everyone who buys them end up replacing them with a different set due to them falling apart. I personally have sat in their FX-1 seat. Not very comfortable whatsoever.

Don't go cheap on seats. You want them to last in extreme circumstances. Especially at the track.

Just my .02
Old 04-28-2009, 01:41 PM
jsaindc
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by roman944
here's an example:

http://www.subesports.com/products/?option=seats

the Imola GT has the widest C and D areas, the Monaco seat is just 1/2" smaller - on the chart atleast - but its also 1/2" bigger then a regular Imola seat

so I'm trying to find these #'s and compare them to the #'s on charts for other manufacturers, and thus looking for a seat that's not going to be seriously huge

now, for the OMP seats:

http://www.subesports.com/data/omp_seat_chart.pdf

if you look at the F area for the Big seat - posted above - its 435mm which converts to 17", the next one after that is the TRS seat with 400mm that converts to 15.7" F area

can't really compare the Monaco to TRS because actual spots where measurements were taken could be slightly different, but it gives an idea of what kind/how wide of a seat to look for, no?

Now Sparco Evo 2 here http://www.subesports.com/data/sparco_seat_dim.pdf has a Z area of almost 15", which is smaller then the Monaco one (however, again, maybe different spots of measuring?)

also, for comparison - no chart - the Momo SuperCup XL has the "butt" area of 17" as well, but again - different measuring spots (possibly)

so I'm assuming from all this that the seat I will need is going to have to have "butt" area of 15-16"? from what I've read on Google search and stuff, Sparco Evo 2 and the OMP Big seat and Corbeau Wide versions are really big seats, I wish I could sit in one local to know for sure if its big(er) then I need or not

I wonder what the refund policy on the seats is?

I was thinking I could probably try to "sit" in that Corbeau FX1 seat and then get the measurements for it and then see what other seats are the same size, or slightly bigger, then it?

also, I know this probably won't matter because these were stock seats, but they fit me fine and I found them to be comfortable; but because these are "race" seats it will probably be different
I think that it is really tough to go by measurements. Not all the seats are measured in the exact spot. I did not get the measurements off of the TEC or Sprint5 but I had the chance to sit in them at Piper Motorsports when I had my roll bar installed. I also had a chance to sit in a Recaro Pole Position seat at Hershey. A little more than the Evo 2 Plus but gave a little more room...maybe too much for my 38 inch waist.

Quick Reply: racing (fixed back) seats - for biger people