Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building late 2.5 8V into 3.0 liter....maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2003, 02:42 PM
Bryan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For me, selling the car and buying something else is not an option. It has nothing to do with the money - as was previously posted this is a hobby and is a project car that I have because it's fun and I'm fully aware that I'll never make back the money I spend on it. The car also has several unique features that would be impossible to find in another 944, plus it has a new cooling system, complete suspension rebuild, nice wheels, new brakes, new exhaust, etc etc etc. Basically the only thing that's left is to go through the motor. So back to the motor.

The questions I have left are mainly for AMW, but I think everyone follwing the thread is probably curious:

- Does the AMW 2.8 use the stock cam?

- Why is increasing displacement via bore better than via stroke on these engines? I would think cubic inches via stroke would make a better engine at least for street use.

- I'm in Boston and AMW is in San Diego. So I don't think shipping a motor out there and back is cost effective. Are the parts (pistons and sleeves) available separately and I could have a good local engine machine shop install them?

- What is the ballpark price of just the custom parts - the RR sleeves and the pistons?

Thanks,

Bryan
Old 01-22-2003, 03:33 PM
D. Autry
Instructor

John,

How much displacement can you get out of the 968 3.0, or is it basically the same 2.5 block already bored to 104???

Bryan,

on the 968 conversion. All you need is the S2 radiator. Cooling will be the same. I haven't checked but the torque tube should be the same too. I'll find out.

It's not just going to be the cost of the engine work, you'll still have to think about upgrading things with the 2.8 overbore. Things like braking being the first priority. Then you'll still need to look at suspension and trans (although I agree with John, if you know how to drive what you have then you shouldn't ever rip the trans). You'll certainly want to upgrade the cooling system and should even think about an external oil cooler. Definite thoughts should also go into throttle body size, exhaust, MAF and certainly the DME. Torque tube issues that you'll face will probably end up being the same too.

There's probably still more issues at hand on any type of upgrade be it overbore and stroked or converting to the 3.0.

Think all cost through to the end and then double that before you decide.
Old 01-22-2003, 04:05 PM
Bryan
Burning Brakes

I don't think that things like brakes are going to become an issue. I'm not increasing the output of the engine by that much. Going from 160hp to 190hp or a tad more isn't going to make the car so much faster that the stock brakes with good pads aren't going to be able to keep up. The stock 0-60 time is like 8 seconds. It might be 7 seconds after the engine work. It's still not that fast. The 190hp 944S was fine with the non-turbo brakes...

And this is part of the appeal, actually. I'm not doing something so radical. I'm thinking 2.8 with ~11:1 compression so nothing is overstressed and the car is otherwise stock and reliable. If I was doing something that was going to rocket the car to 60 in under 5 seconds every time I touch the gas, then yeah, brakes...transaxle...suspension...all become concerns.

BTW, my suspension rebiuild consisted of 944S2 sport shocks and front springs plus the latest mounts and bushings which are all basically superceeded 968 parts now. So the car is sitting on complete S2/968 suspension as it is.

Bryan

Quick Reply: Building late 2.5 8V into 3.0 liter....maybe?