Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pricing for S2 engine parts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2002, 12:02 PM
Maciek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Pricing for S2 engine parts?

Hey guys, I am in the middle of fixing up a 91 S2 cab that had an engine fire into a turbo cab beast. I have the old engine out completely and it seems to be in good shape. I will be attaching the starter to it to make sure it turns and has decent compression. I am trying to make some money off of it to help fund the new 951 engine I will be replacing it with. The more money I can get from it the more powerful of an engine I can build. Sooo Should I sell the engine as a whole or take it apart? I remember reading that S2 heads in good shape for for as much as $2K is that right? How much could I sell the 3.0L crank for? How much for the block? Please let me know what are reasonable prices to ask. If anyone on the board wants any of the parts I will of course cut you a much better deal. Thanks alot!
Old 07-04-2002, 03:41 PM
MadMax
Pro

Mac,
If you're building a new Turbo motor I would consider keeping the 3.0L block and crank and building a 2.8 or 3.0L turbo motor. Evidently, most the turbo guys recommend using an 8V head rather than the S2's 16V. I am not sure why as I don't know much at all about turbo motors.
To answer your question, the S2 head should be worth about $1.5-$2k depending on mileage and condition. If then engine is in really good condition with low mileage I would think you would get more money for it as a whole engine rather than parting it out. If you part it out you are going to be in the engine parts selling business for a long time. It is also likely that you will end up with some odds and ends remaining that are not usually wanted as used parts. Just a thought.

Do you have all of the turbo motor bits and pieces yet? I would be very interested to know what the cost ends up being what the install looks like after you get it all done. I would think that this little project is going to cost you some cash. Good luck.

Max
Old 07-04-2002, 04:04 PM
Maciek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Max,
Thanks for the reply, The engine has 108K miles on it but I have no idea as to its condition. I bought the car after it had an engine fire but the belts are still intact and the engine turns over. I am trying to find out whether I can get more for the pieces or for the whole. It was burned, so I think that will turn people off from buying it as a whole. I think I am going to start off small with a 2.5L turbo engine and build it up gradually. I have not yet sourced all the parts I need but I am looking out for a 951 parts car. I will definetly keep you and the board posted as to progress and cost with pictures and everything. Thanks again.
Old 07-04-2002, 04:40 PM
aka 951
Pro

do not sell that block - it has additional webbing over the 2.5L. Build a 3.0L with an 8 valve head - you will be MUCH happier with the end result.

Quick Reply: Pricing for S2 engine parts?