Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Koni information

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 12:20 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Koni information

So, I've been saving up for a set of koni's all the way around. I've been pricing them from a few different places, and just about to pull the trigger on the paragon set....... and then.....

I've got my car up on jackstands just to check things out. My rear shocks are filthy, and looked black in color except for a little yellow patch near the top mount. So, I grabbed a rag and some brake clean......KONI's!! They're yellow all over, and are stamped KONI.

I didn't have as good of luck on the front because the spring is in the way of me getting them clean, but I do know they are rebuildable (top screws off) so if they're not koni's, I think they can be made to be (?)

So now my questions,

I have the 456 option. Would this come with koni's? I know the M030 did, but was the M030 even available in 85? Did my PO add these himself? He was actually somewhat decent about keeping reciepts, but I don't have one for Koni's.

I also don't know anything about koni's. Are they lifetime guaranteed? Can I send them in to be rebuilt... can I rebuild them? How do I adjust them?

Any and all information and links would be great.

Thanks all,
Old 04-24-2009, 12:41 PM
Johnny Player Special
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They do have a lifetime warranty but it only applies to the orig owner I think. You gotta have a receipt. I also believe they can be rebuilt/revalved thats the beauty.

To adjust the rears I think you take out the lower bolt and turn the whole shock, but I could be wrong. If the fronts are adjustable there should be a little blade like fitting at the top. Pop the hood open.

The PO did the same on my 84 on the rears I need to get it up on stands this weekend to have a little lookey also.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:01 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

944online says: M456 - FRONT SWAY BAR 23.5 MM / REAR 14 MM - FRONT/REAR SPORT SHOCKS

Are the "sport" shocks, Koni's? Meaning, are the koni's stock, or aftermarket?
Old 04-24-2009, 03:17 PM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I think Paragon has a sale on all Koni shocks they have for like 2 more months

I'm debating whether to do it or not, not sure what would be a good choice for a '83 N/A, Billstein HD's all around or Koni's
Old 04-24-2009, 03:22 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

I've searched this for a while, and from what has been said on this site and pelican, the Koni's seem to be the way to go.

The Billstein's are pretty firm, and not adjustable. Where as the Koni's can be either firm or soft.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:47 PM
roman944
Drifting

Originally Posted by m73m95
I've searched this for a while, and from what has been said on this site and pelican, the Koni's seem to be the way to go.

The Billstein's are pretty firm, and not adjustable. Where as the Koni's can be either firm or soft.
how/if does that change when you lower the car?
Old 04-24-2009, 03:50 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

I don't think the way the shocks perform is affected when you lower a car.

Hopefully more experienced people will give their input...
Old 04-24-2009, 04:40 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by m73m95

Mark,

FWIW...I have always run the Koni's, and am now to the point where I am switching to Bilstein HD's. I had the Koni factory do the retro on the front struts and have already had one that needed the cartridge replaced. Also I have blown out 2 rear shocks in a little under 3 years.

It just doesn't seem as if Koni products are now what they once were. Perhaps they have stayed static as far as technological advancements go, perhaps they competition has just gotten better or perhaps Koni is just cutting corners, quality control, material quality, etc.....maybe they are just living on their old reputation, I cannot say for sure.

But what I do feel is that their products no longer warrant the cost associated with them.

Just my opinion....nothing more, nothing less.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:51 PM
roman944
Drifting

I'm not realy sure I'll need all that adjustability, yet

I know a guy that came with a GTi for his first autocross, he just replaced all his bushings with new ones and had all new billstein shocks put in - and he was doing really well around the track for his first time

I guess Koni is for people that need adjustability, I would like to be able to 'set it and forget it" so-to-speak
Old 04-24-2009, 06:47 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

CPR, that is good information. My car floats like an old Cadillac. I was going to adjust my koni's up, but I'm sure they need to be replaced/rebuilt anyway. Maybe I'll rethink my koni idea?

Does anyone else feel the same about the Koni's? I would also like a "set it and forget it" setup, but from what I've read, the Bilstein's were to harsh for the street.

I don't track my car (or haven't yet...I would like to someday), but I do drive aggressively. I like a firmer feel to my suspension, but it still needs to be able to deal with the US interstate system.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:01 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a factory M474 car, with M030 sways bars, NEW monoball c-arm mounts, monoball upper strut mounts, and NEW style Koni (hacksaw konis) with new direct replacement rears, I have them set 50% front and rear, took fronts a little stiffer, and I love the feel, and it rides like it is on rails..I get moderate wheel feedback from the road... 100% street driven, at least for now... I have about 2000 miles on them and I love the setup... How long with they last, who knows, I replaced factory original parts with the new bits...

I love my car... it may not be the best, but it is all mine, now it needs more horseys...

FWIW, the original factory Koni adjustable struts had to be fully compressed to be adjusted, these are available from 944online... I didn't want to have to compress them for adjustment, so I went with the Paragon Hacksaw inserts, put them into the Factory 474 strut housings, and got the neat little white **** for adjusting them underhood...
Old 04-24-2009, 10:04 PM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

For a price Koni will re-valve pretty much anything.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:48 PM
CPR
Race Director

Mark,
In about a month I am replacing all the Koni items on the car with Bilstein. If you are still looking to go the Koni route, it will be for sale around 3rd week in May (first chance I'll have to remove them). This inlcudes:

-Koni MO30 adjustable front struts
-new bump stops
-new dust boots
-new Weltmeister 250lb springs
-new mounting hardware
-new Rear Koni adjustable sport shocks

*when I say new, I mean less than 250 miles....well probably closer to 500 miles by end of May.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:05 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CPR
Mark,
In about a month I am replacing all the Koni items on the car with Bilstein. If you are still looking to go the Koni route, it will be for sale around 3rd week in May (first chance I'll have to remove them). This inlcudes:

-Koni MO30 adjustable front struts
-new bump stops
-new dust boots
-new Weltmeister 250lb springs
-new mounting hardware
-new Rear Koni adjustable sport shocks

*when I say new, I mean less than 250 miles....well probably closer to 500 miles by end of May.
Dude, I'm killing 1000 miles a week, and you might have 250 a month... DAMN
Old 04-24-2009, 11:07 PM
CPR
Race Director

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Dude, I'm killing 1000 miles a week, and you might have 250 a month... DAMN
I am trying to keep it under 60k miles for at least another year.

Quick Reply: Koni information