Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Click & Clack of NPR's Cartalk?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2003, 12:10 AM
Brian McCoy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by SidViscous:
<strong>And everytime it snows and I'm out in my Bronco with no worries about getting stuck I question there sanity in relation to SUV's</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think that same thing everytime I'm out in the snow on my motorcycle putting by all the wrecked SUV's, or those stuck in the 1' ditch with 1/4" snow. Just becasue YOU have a REAL reason to own an SUV, AND know how to drive - doesn't mean that the same is true of those $40k+ SUV drivers.

[quote]Originally posted by SidViscous:
<strong>The whole SUV argument confuses me anyways. Yeah they are gas guzzlers, but then they say they are unsafe</strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually, the unsafe part for the driver/passangers of SUV's is that it's based on a truck frame (ladder type). No crumple zones... you hit Anything solid and the truck/frame stops - dead. Guess what, inertia and the laws of Physics are still playing so your body slids forward till the seatbelt/airbag catches - then your internal organs continue on their crash-course with your skelital frame. Don't know if you've ever had a cuncussion or bruised lung, but they're seriously debalitating.

It's also nice to know that you'd feel NO remorse for running into a Civic and destroying the car, sending all occupants to the hospital.. I mean, shoot - they should have bought an SUV and been safe like you - right??

SUV's DO have a purpose - posing and doing the daily commute with one occupant isn't it. They're a huge fad right now, with the largest profit margin in the new-car segment (1/3rd of all new vehicles were SUV's in 2002 - and they accounted for better than 2/3rd of all profits. Shoot, even Porsche's jumping on this money-train!). I, personally, can hardly wait for gas prices to skyrocket so people will either choose something a little more eco-friendly, or be forced to limit their use (I suppose the serious posers will compromise other areas of their lives... you'll be able to smell them a mile away though as they default on the water bill, washing clothes, toothpaste, etc..)

The double-standards are a direct effect of the profitability. The big car companies pay off their politicians to have lax rules and regulations which, in turn, increases profitability. It's a sickening downward spiral... I've cast all my votes with people who seem to understand this corruption (or, at least acknowledge it).

If you're arguing this topic and can't/won't sit back and see the other side - you're a poser just following a fad. If you see the negatives against SUVs and still find you have a need for one - then great, be a proud owner.
Old 01-06-2003, 12:29 AM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts
"doesn't mean that the same is true of those $40k+ SUV drivers."

That I won't argue with you about.

"that you'd feel NO remorse for running into a Civic and destroying the car, sending all occupants to the hospital"

If it was my stupidity of course I'd feel remorse, if they pull out in front of me or cut me off and I can't stop in time (I will try) then no I will have no remorse. I'm sure they'll have no remorse for me either way.

"If you're arguing this topic and can't/won't sit back and see the other side"

Bad debating tactic, Of course I can see the other side I just don't agree with it. I'll stick on the side of physics. But frankly the other side usually can't see the other side. See article about the eco-terrorist using arson to get thier point across. You don't see me burning up Yugo's

"you're a poser just following a fad."

In an 88 Bronco with badly done bodywork (PO) and a broken tailgate. I hardly think so. I bought it because it was an SUV (older one before that name existed) that I could afford.

"If you see the negatives against SUVs and still find you have a need for one - then great, be a proud owner."

My daily driver is the 944. I only drive the Bronco when there is snow on the ground or the 944 is down. Currently we have about 2 feet of snow and it's still snowing. So I'm driving it allot at the moment. If I had a familly and had to go on a long trip I'd probably use it for that also. I also occasionally take it out in the woods.

"they should have bought an SUV and been safe like you - right??"

Uh if they were concerned about safety, yeah. If I could and could afford it I would drive a tank, or at least an APC. BEtter safe than sorry.

"I, personally, can hardly wait for gas prices to skyrocket"

Nutjob. I bet you were one of those people that gave back the tax rebate too, hunh.
Old 01-06-2003, 12:33 AM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts
Missed a bit.

"Actually, the unsafe part for the driver/passangers of SUV's is that it's based on a truck frame (ladder type). No crumple zones... you hit Anything solid and the truck/frame stops"

That holds true for brick walls, which fortunately are not a comon accident vector, but yes you are right. However against another vehicle the story is different.

"Don't know if you've ever had a cuncussion or bruised lung, but they're seriously debalitating."

I hit a house in an 80 Fairmont with no airbags or crumple zones, and I wasn't wearing my seatbelt. Yes I understand completely.

Also hit a Jeep Cherokee in a 76 LeMans. Same story. Mass saved me there too.

Quick Reply: Click & Clack of NPR's Cartalk?!?!?!