Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cracked Header

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2002, 10:09 PM
Briberiben
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Cracked Header

I have a cracked head. It is probably weldable but now I'm wondering if I should replace it. If so what with?
Old 07-03-2002, 10:50 PM
jaibeiber
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do not weld it. you will regret it. because it will break.
Old 07-04-2002, 12:20 AM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Assuming that you have a 951, I beg to differ on welding the headers. They are stainless steel, so whoever does your welding must be very good at stainless. Mine had several cracks, a friend here fabricates stainless fixtures for restaurants and welds constantly. He welded them up, they haven't cracked again thus far, one year and quite a few hard miles later. Then again, you could always buy a new set from B&B ($1k+ I think) or gamble on a used set.

If you do have them welded, I highly recommend that you remove the factory heat shields, since there is also likely to be a crack under there too. Go back with DEI header wrap for insulation. It works better for me than the factory shields.

My headers were cracked-
1-broken off the flange of #4
2-cracked in both the "Y"
3-2/3 cracked at the collector
4-cracked at the flange of #2

If you do your own wrenching and have a welder that you trust, this won't be expensive at all, just time consuming. The other option is to throw money at it. HTH

Dave
Old 07-04-2002, 01:25 AM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cracked head or header?
Old 07-04-2002, 07:01 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you weld the headers back together, make sure you have it done by someone who's familiar with thin-wall steel welding. That pretty much rules out all the guys at muffler shops. You need to heat up the part first, then MIG/TIG it (no slag rod-welding allowed) and cool it down slowly afterwards. Then you need to file/grind down the weld to remove all the stress-risers.

But that may not solve the actual CAUSE of the crack to begin with. Which is the differential expansion rates of a steel header on an aluminium block (steel expands less for same temp-increase). One way around that is to slot the bolt-holes on the header. Then attach it to the block with a spring between the bolt and header. Don't tighten it down all the way so that only spring-tension pushes the header against the block for a seal. Then as the block expands, the header-to-block interface is allowed to slide against each other; no stretching of the header allowed!

Quick Reply: Cracked Header