Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

88 944 oil psi high blew out seals

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009 | 11:03 AM
911racer
Rennlist Member

I am bumping this back up to the top because I had a similar problem.

I built / had built an 88 motor for my 944Cup race car. I had the same problem. When it happened the first time I thought the filter may have not been tightened enough.

I reused the same filter, tightened it properly, checked the oprv for opperation (did not take it apart) went to the dyno, made about 20 pulls.

Went to the track, the car flooded out leaving the pits. During restart I blew the oil filter gasket out again. This time I figured that the seal may have been damaged last time. I mean, heck, it blew out cranking the motor.

Not another problem after that. Ran great for about an hour worth of practice. An hour into a 90 min enduro the #2 bearing went. Now the motor is back out and I am back to my 86 motor in the car.

I really want to find what caused the issue before I install another crank and try again.

The only other thing to report is that while I would go through the turns I noticed that the oil pressure would fluctuate. Not sure if this is a related problem or completely separate.

I am not running the standard oil/water cooler. I have a 944 turbo oil consoul and I run an external cooler.

I have not taken my oprv apart to see if the inner seal is damaged, but I know that the inner portion moves smoothly and I did use the alignment tool to set up the position of the oil consoul. I was able to thread the oprv in by hand until it contacted the aluminum gasket.

Thanks

Ed
Old 07-17-2009 | 11:54 AM
marky522
Drifting

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
I still can't see how a stuck OPRV can raise pressure to downstream components based on that flow chart since I don't think it's supposed to function as a regulator, just a relief valve.
It works just like some of the newer returnless fuel systems, pressure will take the path of least resistance, when the system pressure reaches a certain amount and the valve opens and instead of the system continuing to increase it dumps pressure out the valve. And as a releif valve it is functioning as a regulator, any time its sees x amount of presusre it opens to regulate the system.

Mark

Quick Reply: 88 944 oil psi high blew out seals